NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to town...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warhoon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: New to town... Reply with quote

Hello,

I am new to town, having just moved to Wellington from the U.S. about a month ago. I am looking for people who conduct D&D gaming, and /or other RPG games.

I should warn you that it has been ages since I have played D&D. More recently, I have played (and run as a GM) Star Wars and Babylon 5 RPG campaigns. However, fantasy realms have always been closest to my heart, and I would love to get back to it. At any rate, I will likely require a fair share of tutoring to get up to speed on the rules, etc., but I am a quick learner. I actually have quite a library of D&D gaming manuals and resource material that I brought with me from the States, so have a good base to start my homework from.

An interesting side note...last year, I tried online RPG'ing (Everquest) in the hopes it would fill the niche that D&D used to. I must admit that I loved playing the game (a guilty pleasure) and on the Role Playing Server, it was possible to do a fair bit of good RP with your avatar. I found it incredibly addictive. However, I missed the face-to-face aspect of playing with real people and the lack of control / fluidity where the storytelling was concerned. So, it was fun, but never really did the trick.

As for my style of play, I enjoy the RPG aspect of the game the most and consequently prefer a gaming atmosphere where the rules don't take ultra priority or become the constant focus. I enjoy being part of a good, entertaining story. I am mature (36 years old) and not prone to theatrics or RL drama. During the day, I am an artist and work professionally in the field of museum exhibition design and development. Well, when I FIND a job, that is, I will work in that field. Still pursuing that! I enjoy social history, as well as the natural sciences.

The best day of the week for my availability would likely be Sunday, probably once per month realistically. It is possible I could do every three weeks, depending on my social calendar. Since we are new to the country, we know no one as of yet, but my wife is working to change that and she will fill up the social calendar very quickly! It should be noted she is not a gamer and therefore this sort of thing would not count towards our social activities quota by her measure. So, I am trying to make sure I block out some days before she fills 'em up. <evil grin> Weeknights would also be possible, though once I get a job, I probably could not be out too late.

I would be keen to hear from anyone who is running a campaign that I might join in on. It may be useful for me to simply observe a few sessions before actually playing so that I can get a grip on the rules, etc., and also to allow time for the DM and myself to determine where my character will fit into the storyline. I am flexible, regardless.

Also, I do plan to attend the next WARGS meeting, once it has been posted...it appears there was no meeting in Sept...will there be a meeting in October?

Kind regards,

William
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had issues with the numbers of active members recently and the exec decided to not hold meetings in the near future.

the issue was simple at the end of the meetings we had only 5 or so people turning up on a regular basis and we were not covering costs.

Feel free to email me on pauliewilson@gmail.com(or even PM me on here,) if you want to know where to meet gamers other than on the BB here.

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhoon, are you available Friday Nights?

Glock-9mm
Warhoon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Friday nights... Reply with quote

Would probably depend on the frequency of play...if I was gaming EVERY Friday night, I suspect the boss would divorce me. Wink Friday and Saturday are traditionally her territory, an area I am careful to avoid.

But, might be able to swing once a month or so. So long as I give her plenty of advance warning.

-William
Warhoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Gone silent on me... Reply with quote

So...I guess you guys play every Friday night? Talk to me, Hudson! (sorry...Aliens fan from another life...)

Surprised

-William
artemis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other places to meet gamers:

Monday Night Forum: This is a relatively informal gathering of boardgamers, roleplayers and card gamers who turn up at the Ferrymans Tavern every Monday night and play whatever they feel like. Its located across from Wellington Train station next to the backpackers.

Wargame Supplies: This is a game store located in the undergraound walk way between the BNZ foodcourt and the Old Bank Arcade. Oposite Kirbies Candies. Thursday afternoons (about 1:30ish) I turn up and play a couple of boardgames with people but you can find gamers of various types there most days.

Kapcon: This gets about 100 rolelayers turning up to it on Wellington Aniversary Weekend in January. Most everyone here can be found there.

Simply arranging to meet some of us round would also work.

Hope this helps. dont know anyone who is actively looking for a player right now but keep an eye on the Available Games Forum here.

See you round
Nasia
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gone silent on me... Reply with quote

Warhoon wrote:
So...I guess you guys play every Friday night? Talk to me, Hudson! (sorry...Aliens fan from another life...)

Surprised

-William

Sorry, been very busy with work etc.

Yeah we play every friday night so we are prolly no good for you.

Glock-9mm
Warhoon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Thanks for tips Reply with quote

Well, darn, sorry to hear that Glock-9. Good gaming to ya though.

Thanks for info, Nasia. I actually was just at the Ferryman's the other night, had a drink before the Phoenix SF club meeting that night, so I know exactly where it is. Will try to make it on Monday. What time do they get together? Also, will it be obvious who to look for?

Posted my name on a bulletin board at the BNZ gaming shop. Thursdays are pretty busy for me, so prolly will not see you there (at that time, at least)

Kapcon is also on my list of to-do's.

Yours,

Warhoon
artemis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They meet afterworl so people dridt in about 5:30-6ish and stay until around 9-10pm. So a pretty broad window all up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> WARGS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: