NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shadowrun at WARGS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Shadowrun at WARGS Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've been running Shadowrun Missions at WARGS for over a year now, and something has started to worry me a bit. Basically I'm a little concerned that running the missions might be running counter to the point of WARGS.

In my mind WARGS is a monthly excuse to get together, game, perhaps try something new, perhaps something experimental, but on a couple of occasions now I've noticed that other games haven't been run. Some of these have sounded cool, but the demand for the mission has been such that I have been unwilling to cancel the game to try something else.

So, as a discussion point, how would people feel if I was to set up an alternate Shadowrun thing, perhaps on a Saturday (I'd need to talk to Wargames Supplies and see when would be good for them of course). The idea would be for a monthly Mission, much like the current arrangement, where anyone can rock on up to play. This would allow new and different games to be trialed at WARGs.

On the other hand, I've heard comment that the Missions might be bringing people along who may otherwise not attend. I haven't spoken to anyone to confirm this, so this is my request for information I guess.

Anyway, what are your opinions? Should I split out the missions? or keep bringing them to WARGS?

Cheers
Grant
Masada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say keep running them as long as there is interest. If nothing else, the game is new to some folks (like it was for me on the first meeting). That makes it true to the purpose. Shadowrun still has a unique game mechanic that makes it a nice "experiment" in RPG gaming (IMO).
Highwayman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masada wrote:
I'd say keep running them as long as there is interest. If nothing else, the game is new to some folks (like it was for me on the first meeting). That makes it true to the purpose. Shadowrun still has a unique game mechanic that makes it a nice "experiment" in RPG gaming (IMO).

It's not to say I couldn't bring specific Shadowrun Demonstration games to WARGs, just that the missions themselves could be potentially separated out.

Or am I over thinking the whole thing?

Cheers
Grant
Liam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to run a bit of Cthulhu at WARGS but there has been little or no interest so far. I don't think moving Shadowrun out of WARGS will change that. In saying that if Shadowrun missions is moved to an alternative time I could play more boardgames etc.

Other options are pre-advertise what the game(s) will be and/or who the GM is for that day then people will turn up knowing what the game

Alternatively get more people to WARGS.

I will still bring Cthulhu games along just in case....
artemis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most meetings lately there have been two rpg's run. I know that some people look forward to your regular Shadowrun game and its nice to be able to tell people interested in Shadowrun that they can come along and try it.

For those more interested in something different the 2nd game run on any of the last several meetings has been something far more in the style of games on demand- low prep, relatively indie. I know this time we had 3:16 and before christmas Sophie ran Best Friends.

So we are still getting some other variety going and people are still trying new things.

If you are concerned maybe taking a break for one month and see what happens and if its an improvement or not.

Hugs

Nasia
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the December WARGS, Sophie was unable to get enough players to run her game, possibly in part because most of the roleplayers were playing SR. That meeting was the only meeting I can recall where there have been two RPGs going at once (in my limited sample size of, generally, mid-winter meetings): Shadowrun and a small GMless game (Zombie Cinema with 4 players). So, about a (traditional) game and a half worth of players.

On the other hand, it does seem (again, in my limited experience) that the same people seem to play SR, so moving it might just detract from attendance. Perhaps some of the SR regulars would like to weigh in?
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
tog42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the most frequent of the Shadowrun regulars I look forward to my monthly fix. That said, I'm happy for the missions to be moved to a Saturday as that means I can play all the other stuff on offer at WARGS.
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
Liam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a bit silly posting as I wont be around for six months but here goes. I would run a game as GM first choice, shadowrun next choice and play boardgames or other roleplaying game as last choice. I would be happy with SR missions on another day once a month as well.

Liam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> WARGS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: