NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off to Tentacles Omega, Woohoo!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Off to Tentacles Omega, Woohoo! Reply with quote

Just thought I would make my fellow WARGS associates jealous by advertising the fact that I am off to Tentacles Omega at the end of May, its a convention held in a real castle in Germany, how cool is that? It is Issaries Inc and Chaosium focused so lots of Cthulhu (as well as HeroQuest, Eternal Champion, Pendragon and RuneQuest) so I will try to run both my last two Kapcon Cthulhu games there. I will let you know how a Kiwi gets on at a German Con! Thank goodness the official language is English!

There are some benefits to being in the Sudan!

Hope everyone is well and have fun at the next WARGS meeting!

Liam
Dale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not really a WARGS associate, I am well-jealous!

I will be stongly trying to compel you to run at least one of those games again, so that I can play, when we're both next in Wellington. I just lost one of my Tatters of the King players here in Canberra to a short-notice military posting to Pakistan for a few months Crying or Very sad

One also hopes you have also done the required reading for your current assignment Wink
http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=2511

Represent well Liam and return victorious!
Liam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I had to laugh when they put out a Sudan source book. I bought it in the last sale but it is in NZ of course.

How do you find Tatters of the King? I have the scenario but have not read it yet.

When are you back in Wellington?

Liam
Dale

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When are you back in Wellington?

Some time between late this year to early next year, depending on thesis progress, supervisor temperament and the inner machinations of the Australian public service. You?

As an old-skool Recon GM I would love to play your cthulhu vietnam scenario Very Happy

Quote:
How do you find Tatters of the King? I have the scenario but have not read it yet.

MILD SPOILER WARNING FOR TATTERS

Good: Complex plot makes it reasonably fun to read, focus on flawed NPC's rather than the typical grand set pieces (a-la Masks) feels more realistic, blends big nasties with high PC survival and san rewards for good investigation making it much more likely to take 1 character through the whole campaign. Interesting settings and the best written, and most useable cthulhu NPC's I've seen in a while. A good bit of real historical overlap.

Anotherwords: it lifts the bar on a lot of niggles that I've had with past Cthulhu campaigns, and should be a template for future chaosium grand campaigns.

Bad: Linear series of events makes it feel like one giant railroad; often investigators have to wait for NPC correspondence before getting next clue. Doesn't expect PC's to act like players rather than characters (i.e. let's just keep messing with a problem until something happens, rather than pursuing the next clue). The hook is not sufficient to justify the investigation when things get hairy. The red herrings are entirely too likely to be siezed upon. The set piece scenes are fairly odd and require a lot of description from the keeper. The plot is very complex and hard to put together, my players had to resort to a whiteboarding session.

None of the above can't be fixed with a little creative keeper-ing, but tinkering with a complex narrative plot means you have to think through ramifications much more thoroughly. Also, if your prep time is compromised during the week, it can be a hard scenario to catch-up with on the fly.
Liam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. I will be back in Wellington around Sep probably unless I get extended. Hope I will be no later than the end of Nov Iif I do get extended. Not too bothered as the UN pays well but missing the family and some decent roleplaying action.

The Vietnam game plays well I think. It needed a little tuning after Kapcon but I am happy with it now and will make it available to people that want a copy soon. I created a new beastie for it as I try to do for most of my one shot games to keep the players guessing. First time through at Kapcon was a bit rough, second time worked a bit better. Had good feedback from it. I think it was a little cthulhuish for some of the players but I feel it is important to keep the original flavour of the game.

I know the feeling about the thesis, trying to write one myself in between playing at peace keeping in Sudan.

Liam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> WARGS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: