NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forthcoming Games

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Forthcoming Games Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Liam and I have been talking about things we'd like to run over the next wee while so I though it might be good to list them in one place so you can take a look, and consider your availability and preferences;

Dale's List

The Raid on Innsmouth
Kingsport Tales - Dead in the Water part II
More Kingsport Tales
Snows of an Early Winter (3 Sessions)

ON HOLD
PX Poker Night (single session Delta Green intro)
Delta Green Countdown - Dead Letter (2-3 Sessions)
Delta Green - Convergence (1-2 Sessions)
Delta Green - The New Age (1-2 Sessions)

Last edited by Dale on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Liam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting list of Games there Dale!

Liam's List

1920s - A Restoration of Evil (1-2 Sessions)
1930s - The Burning Stars (1-2 Sessions)
Modern - Wrong Turn (1 Session)
Mysteries of Mesoamerica - Menhirs in the Grotto (2-3 Sessions)
Delta Green - Artifact Zero
Vulpes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of cool sounding adventures here! I'm happy to play pretty much anything, but particularly:

Finishing Kingsport (and further adventures if we live to tell about it)
Snows of an Early Winter.

I'm not familiar with any of the rest of the adventures mentioned, but anything Delta Green sounds like fun. Am also keen to continue Mesoamerica, though I will need to find a new character Wink

-Andrew S
Liam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong Turn is scheduled for 29 Jul!
Liam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Restoration of Evil

Set in the 1920s in New York. Players are all be friends with an interest in the supernatural living in New York. The players gather for an evening dinner when.....

Please let me know if you want to play and add your availability to the doodle poll:

http://www.doodle.com/ue9c6driw7qr45ub
Liam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Restoration of Evil is scheduled for 9 & 12 Aug!
Liam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam wrote:
Wrong Turn is scheduled for 29 Jul!

WRONG TURN

Caution Spoilers

This is a modern day scenario out of Cthulhu Britannica. I had a lot of fun running this game which is based around an old radio telescope site that was open for just one day before the entire staff were brutely murdered overnight.

The players play a group of film makers who spend a night at the now abandoned and forgotten site to get some background shots etc for an upcoming series they will be making. Over the course of the night things get progressively more bloody and terrifying for the characters.

The plot relies a great deal of buy in by the players who fall by the way side one by one and replaced by a simulacrum still played by the players. In some respects this is difficult to deal with because early players tend to be out of their character fairly quickly but if they get into the swing of it then the roll of the GM to create a sense of horror and paranoia can be passed to the players to do themselves.

The scenario is divided into three parts, a nice afternoon in the counrty side leading to a creepy fog filled twilight and finishing off with a dark horror filled assault on the players, one by one. In order to create the feel I slowely dimmed the light till the night time when I had all the lights off and the players had to use torches. This created a nice effect and the players seemed to find it easier to concentrate on the game at hand.

I would like to have built up the paranoia a lot more but the players seemed a bit reluctant to go off by themselves too much, especially after a few one on one closed door sessions between the GM and a couple of the players. This reduced my opportunities to create a feeling of isolation and paranoia and I was also pressed for time to fit it into the three odd hours time slot I had to run it which meant I pushed the pace a bit towards the end instead of leaving the majority of players intact for a bit longer.

I did enjoy the end where the one surviving player was left to explain what had happened to the police and was too fearful to venture back inside.

Pros

A nicely written up scenario that portrays a feeling of creepyness when reading through.
A good one shot for a con or nights play with pre-gen characters.
Great atmospheric setting with lots of potential.

Cons

The threat is left up to the GM to generate which leaves things open which could have been fleshed out a bit more.
Not easily incorporated into an ongoing campaign as the fates of all but one character is sealed.
A bit hard on players who lose their characters early on.

Overall a nice scenario but not the best in the book in my opinion.

Would be interested in player opinion of the game?
Liam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really looking forward to running Burning Stars from the source book Terrors from Beyond after I have finished A Restoration of Evil and will be looking to run this over two to three sessions in late Aug.

This is again another one shot with pregenerated characters set in the 1930s in Haiti and looks like a ripper of a scenario with lots of twists. If you intend to play I would advise not reading anything about the book or the scenario prior to play!

To quote one reviewer (Pookie) on Game Cryer:

Quote:
Fortunately, Terrors From Beyond saves its best for last. David Conyers’ “The Burning Stars” is the highlight of the collection, managing to meet the book’s lofty claims with aplomb.
Dale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review.
Looks like the Raid on Innsmouth will take another 1-3 sessions and you're aiming to push through your list.
On the basis of your recent experience, I'm not convinced that organising games outside the regular Thursday slot is an option, so I guess I'll hold my Delta Green offerings until there's a gap in the schedules.
Liam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished a Restoration of Evil tonight. The characters were able to prevent the restoration of evil and had a great time doing it by all accounts. I enjoyed the characters and will be keen to revisit New York and the NYSS in the very near future!

The scenario was the mini adventure provided in the 5.5/5.6 rules GM screen. It plays really well and I had a nice time running it and recommend it as a scenario to play through.
Liam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next adventure will be The Burning Stars from Terrors from Beyond set in Haiti in the late 1930s. I have scheduled this for 9 Sep start and will be running it over 3-4 sessions in Sep/Oct. It needs exactly six players to play pre-gen characters. If I can't get six players to start in Sep then I will run Menhirs in the Grotto from The Mysteries of Mesoamerica with whoever is available.

Let me know by email or message on NZ Rag if you are avail to play.

Liam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Call of Cthulhu All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: