NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARGS Subgroup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: WARGS Subgroup Reply with quote

With the recent unfortunate decline of WARGS, and a slight reluctance of experienced gamers to frequent the Vic Games Club, I've been thinking about how to have a mixing of gamers throughout the year. I've been hearing comments from various GMs of high caliber and good standing about the difficulty of finding a play group. There are a bunch of factors at play in this problem, but the ones I can easily identify and articulate boil down to these:

- People don't know what other gamers are like. I've only roleplayed with about half the addressees on this list, despite knowing some of you very well for 3 or 4 years.
- People don't necessarily have a huge amount of spare time. I've declined to play in Ivan's Amber game because I don't have sufficient unallocated time for a weekly game for the next three months.
- People aren't always interested in what's available. I didn't play in a couple of D&D games with good players and awesome GMs because... it was D&D. Prejudice, I know.
- People don't want to committ to running full-blown campaigns for some games they'd like to try out. I don't want to get embroiled in a 5 year Sorcerer game, but I am curious to have a taste.

My suggestion is to organize a rotating group of GMs and players running a sequence of short term games on a fortnightly basis. The structure would be like this:

I'll collate a list of all the people who express an interest in either GMing or playing, and randomize the order of the GMs. While the previous game is going on, the next GM will put together a KapCon-style blurb, with a firm number of sessions. This will be distributed to the player-pool and the people who've played in the fewest games will have first dibs.

The intention is to run short-term games, between 1 session and 5 sessions. I imagine that who's actually playing in this game could have a 100% turnover between games, but the idea is simply to create an environment without too much committment where gamers can get together and network, and actually play together.

I envisage fortnightly play because I think this would be in addition to the regular games that people play.

So, with the blessing of the current WARGS committee, I have set up a mailing list:

http://groups.google.com/group/wargs-gaming-sampler?hl=en

Obviously discussion can be held here too.

GMs: Sam K, Conan, Paul W

Players: Fraser, Liz, Morgue, Gareth Cranfield, Mash', Nick C

Watchers: Gareth Ackrill, Frank P, Luke, Dale, Sean

GMs will be devising suitable games, and discussion on the structure and nature of the beast is ongoing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Highwayman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WARGS Subgroup Reply with quote

Interesting idea, I hope it goes well. I might even be roped into running SR4 or something if people are interested in that sort of non-indie game sometime.

Mashugenah wrote:
and a slight reluctance of experienced gamers to frequent the Vic Games Club

If it was any night but Friday (or Saturday)....

Cheers
Grant
artemis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a great idea Mash I really hope it works well.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best plan I have for "what night it is" at the moment is to let the GM for each cycle pick what night suits them best. After all, without GMs, this whole thing just doesn't happen, so they need to be reasonably in control of the game time and place, within the general limits of a fortnightly game not longer than 5 sessions.

Oh, and I'd totally be keen for som SR4. I haven't played SR since 2nd ed, and after Dan gave SR4 the thumbs-up a few months ago I've been curious, but too busy to actually arrange a game myself. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume deciding on a venue would be up to the GMs and players?
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah; there are mutterings about using Wargames Supplies, but I think that it's probably best to let people find something that suits themselves. I don't want to make this too formal at this stage.
BertyBear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: RPG Reply with quote

this sounds like something we use to have at our flat as well. GMs run short term games, they can be campaigns but just campaigns we RETURN to. So instead of a year long constant puzzle game we spice it up with diff GM and diff system, always eager to return to that main game.... yeah... I'm all 4 it.
TrollForHire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout a monthly all day meeting on a sunday. Sundays are free for most people I think and an all day venue would attract more people. Just need a couple of volunteers to be there all or part of the day and take care of things. Even if it costs $5 or $10 per person it wouldn't be too bad. Be good to find something like Turnbull house rather than a school hall due to noise etc. Maybe even have a room for DVD's and another for boardgames.

WARGS died cos it was on a crap night, Tuesday was Ultimate night and half the people who went to WARGS went there, There were also good TV nights part of the year. I woudl have gone any Thursday or maybe Monday night. It also finished a bit early and started a bit late if you ask me.

And games club at Uni is shit too since you have to be out by 10pm or whever and at the end of the week when everyone is tired there's lesss chance of making it up there.
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And games club at Uni is shit too since you have to be out by 10pm or whever and at the end of the week when everyone is tired there's lesss chance of making it up there.

How to make Friends and Influence them, By Damon Ross Esq.

G-9mm
Adrexia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrollForHire wrote:

WARGS died cos it was on a crap night, Tuesday was Ultimate night and half the people who went to WARGS went there, There were also good TV nights part of the year. I woudl have gone any Thursday or maybe Monday night. It also finished a bit early and started a bit late if you ask me.

When Wargs started it was a less crap night. However repton started a c-grade ultimate team and recruited from the same pool of people who attended Wargs. Ultimate is a weekly commitment, wargs was a monthly thing... the monthly commitment was largely pushed aside for the weekly one. Especially since it was the only form of exercise a lot of us got.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it was your guys choice .... we put the vote to the group and it fell that way.

It died due to lack of commitment for a lot of people.

thats fine if people did not want to support it but that was the main reason.

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why I'm trying a "lower commitment" with "more flexibility" approach at the moment. WARGS is something I've missed, but not something I could easily see working for me in my present hectic circumstances. Sad
artemis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Paul said there were many reasons WARGS meetings died including decreasing membership and interest. Ultimate starting up was a big issue for us but we would be kidding ourselves if we blamed it entirely on that. You cannot make people volunteer to run things or to turn up and in the end th$50 per month for the meetings wasnt worth it. WARGS itself still exists and is shifting the focus to events such as Confusion and yearly LARPS.

I am unsure that boldly declaring that we should run what amounts to a monthly mini con is a little mind boggling. Organising people to run things is fine when its for two cons and we may even be able to strtch it a bit further but soon you will reach the limits of what people are willing to do. Besides if you are wanting at least one room for RPG's one for Boardgaming and one for DVD's at Turnbull House your cheapist all day option is $216 and that avoids the big room (as well as the very expensive downstairs). So you are not talking cheap and easy, of course I doubt anywhere else will be better.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemis wrote:
As Paul said there were many reasons WARGS meetings died including decreasing membership and interest. Ultimate starting up was a big issue for us but we would be kidding ourselves if we blamed it entirely on that.

Wait, you mean I'm not allowed to be bitter?

(I kid, I kid)

Cheers
Grant
Adrexia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:

Wait, you mean I'm not allowed to be bitter?

(I kid, I kid)

You could just come and play ultimate with us you know. Bitterness is overrated. Twisted Evil

Ultimate doesn't cut into roleplaying time much at all these days. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> WARGS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: