NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARGS Meetings Potential Restart
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
artemis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: WARGS Meetings Potential Restart Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I recieved an offer which I will present here for your opinions mainly as if there arent enough people interested there really is no point.

Some of you may have met Susan (who works in Wargames Supplies, Madeline not Jeeves) who has recently been put in charge of organising some events for Wargames supplies. As such we have been offered the use of the store as a free venue.

There are a couple of possible times that we could do this. Firstly if we wanted an Evening we would have to be in by about 6 or have someone go let people in and we would only be able to stay as late as one of the store people were willing to stay (so maybe 8ish)

The other option is that they are currently open on Sundays from 11am-3pm and it is apparently very quite. So we could very well take over half the store and have our meeting then if we wanted it.

Naturally the Venue wouldnt allow the same sort of meeting with lots of roleplaying games that we had before but the meeting could very well invlude several other things.

Genral Business
A place for Mash's new group to get together from time to time and announce upcooming games.
Reviews of new games given by anyone who would like to

And my main though was we could try and re-organise the seminars/workshops/ discussions we were having. With the Game designers Cabal out there and the Lukes new Group there must be plenty of people round who could give a talk (or host a discusion or something) on things from advice on putting together a con game, advice for new GM's, System design and advice on running a LARP.

They also are happy to have people boardgaming or trying out stuff with the demo games they have set up so thats an extra bit for people.

So what do people think will this work. Would you be keen? Membership would naturally be decreased as we no longer have a venue cost so would you join and more importantly turn up every now and again.

Well hugs all

[/u]
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that sounds really good. As to which time, I think you should go with whichever time is more popular.

As a matter of interest, how many tables do they have in WGS? I know there is one good one and a couple covered in product or wargaming stuff. Having another table or two for more RPGing and board gaming would be perfect.
artemis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they have another little table that they have pulled out once before when I was there but you are right in saying most of their tables are covered in Wargaming stuff.

I know Susan said they can borrow another few of chairs from somewhere but it may be a few people staniding or sitting on the floor as well.

Hugs
TrollForHire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite nice of them really but.....

Friday nights won't work, nobody's gonan hang around and play a game if there's a very uncertain goign home time, and it's unlikely one of the staff would stay very late and sacrifice their own social life for us. Also there may be issues with the BNZ food court anyway, they may require everyone to be out by a certain time due to security. It's also the same night as Vic Games Club.

Saturdays are also unlikely as that's a bit of a catch up day for people who aren't working (and several of us do work saturdays), and we're most likely going to be out shopping or paying bills or whatever we didn't have time for in the week.

Both times would have a small issue of customer interference, and even if they're just looking and listening it's enough to make some players uncomfortable, likewise having 2 groups play in such a small space could be awkward with noise overflow. And they don't have enough chairs either.

Not trying to bum you out just analysing it and stating the obvious.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrollForHire wrote:
Not trying to bum you out just analysing it and stating the obvious.

From Nasia' post we may be able to choose any week night or Sunday. I am starting to think that Sunday afternoon (with its 4 hour opening time and low customer traffic) might be a pretty good idea.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundays mate, not saturdays.

Sounds like an excellent plan Nasia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
artemis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok some valid points Damon but as I am really confused as to were you got the idea we were considering either Friday or Saturday. Honestly did you think I was retarded enough to even consider conflicting with Games Club?

As far as I was aware we were not considering either one.

As for the Foodcourt it will be closed on Sundays which seems to be the best option currently so there doesnt seem to be any security issue that I am aware of. On Sundays from speaking to the people who work there we are likely to get maybe a total of 3 people wonder in over about 3 hours. Probably less with no foot-traffic down there due to the closed foodcourt. Besides if we move to more seminar based/talk based meetings it wont matter so much if someone walks in.

Anyway I am glad to see people are keen. It sounds promising so far.

Hugs
morgue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as keen on a WARGS that takes a format suitable for the space.

I see a useful mutual support role for Mash's game initiative here, too.

I have been thinking that the basic unit of currency in gamer life is time with gamers in which to game; it's perilously close to zero-sum for lots of us (WARGS time means less gaming time). I don't know what to do about that. Maybe nothing can be done.

In any case, keep us posted. I organised for Gar to do a little seminar at Wargames last year that stayed late after foodcourt shut, and there were no problems.
James P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keen for this as well as I would be able to attend Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rue Saberhagin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: More info regarding location. Reply with quote

Hello!

More info regarding the proposed Venue.

Current day options, are Wednesday & Thursday evenings & Sunday.

There can be another 2-4 tables set up, while the shop is low on chairs, borrowing chairs from the food court should not be a problem as long as they get put back.

The only thing in the works for Wargames Supply's is boardgames on the Sunday, oh, & board games Thursday lunchtimes, that might conflict.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: More info regarding location. Reply with quote

Rue Saberhagin wrote:
More info regarding the proposed Venue.

Cheers Susan. As you say there are a lot of spare chairs in the food court area on a Sunday, that could be used.
robroy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cool, personally speaking I think Sunday would my preferred option. After work and during the week I think you might struggle for attendance.

ta

Andrew
sidicus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea, especially on Sundays when most people are not as busy.

Given the cost of the venue and it accessibility even if there are only a few 'regulars', WARGS could still be a group to meet up with other gamers.

I am not a WARGS member as I could never make it to the meetings, but could possibly make random Sundays. I haven't met most of the WARGS people so am only guessing at how things are organised.

Would this be a weekly or a monthly thing?

Since Wargames Supplies considers Sundays a very quiet period and more foot traffic would be good for their business, I would suggest informal weekly meetings with a formal monthly one for talks, general meetings etc.
artemis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARGS used to be monthly due to the cost and the fact that it is hard to get people to be willing to run one off games or give talks more often than that.

What is looking likely to happen is that Wargame supplies will try and organise informal boardgaming and the like on Sundays that a WARGS meeting is not schedualed and we can have a proper formal meeting once or twice a month.

This was something I was going to ask, given its free would people be keen to have Bimonthly meetings or is the one formal meeting enough with the option for people to turn up on the other sundays and hang out with whoever is there?

If one sunday a month is there any preferance between 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th Sunday. Personally it makes no difference to me so I would be tempted just to pick one such as the 2nd sunday starting in Feb to give people all of a week and a half warning. But thats just me.

Hugs
Adrexia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make it all formal, and just have people running games when they want to... boardgames can fill in the gaps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> WARGS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: