NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to move to Wellington...what's the gaming like?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scurvy_Platypus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Looking to move to Wellington...what's the gaming like? Reply with quote

Howdy. I'm currently living in the U.S., and my wife is considering accepting a job in Wellington. I'm wondering what the rpg scene is like, in terms of how easy it is to find people to play with, as well as the kinds of games folks are playing. I've moved around quite a bit, and found that regions (at least here in the U.S.) tend to favor certain games and other stuff is completely unknown (or disliked).

A sample of the games I've got and like (for various reasons):
Marvel Saga
Marvel Universe
BESMd20
Blue Planet
Everway
Truth & Justice/Zorcerer of Zo/Ninja Burger
Dragonstar
Providence

Is it going to be hard for me to find folks to play with?
itowlson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to move to Wellington...what's the gaming like? Reply with quote

Scurvy_Platypus wrote:

No.

Well, sort of no. The Wellington game scene is very active and a lot of people are already as committed as they want to be. So sometimes it can be hard to find games with free space, or players with free time to join your game. But it's certainly not for lack of activity, and the range of stuff people are up for is amazingly diverse -- everything from old-skool D&D to the latest indie games.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan is right, there is a fair amount of gaming going on for a city our size, but turnover is fairly low, and random.

But, if you hang out on these boards, or come along to WARGS and KapCon, and keep an ear out, you should find something after a little while.

Cheers
Grant
morgue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to move to Wellington...what's the gaming like? Reply with quote

Scurvy_Platypus wrote:
Howdy. I'm currently living in the U.S., and my wife is considering accepting a job in Wellington. I'm wondering what the rpg scene is like, in terms of how easy it is to find people to play with, as well as the kinds of games folks are playing. I've moved around quite a bit, and found that regions (at least here in the U.S.) tend to favor certain games and other stuff is completely unknown (or disliked).

Marvel Saga
Marvel Universe
BESMd20
Blue Planet
Everway
Dragonstar
Providence

I'm sure Paulie, Wellington's resident T&J enthusiast, will be along soon to jump up and down that you mention it in your game list.

Me, I'm just surprised and pleased to see someone rockin' the Marvel stones game! And Dragonstar too. Neat.

Ivan and highwayman have the right of it - there is *lots* of gaming going on here. That said, I think the only failsafe way to get a spot in a game fast is to start one yourself.
artemis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have several events in Wellington which you should come along to in order to meet peopel and get a feel for whats going on.

Theres Kapcon in January, We try and have a LARP in May, I run CONfusion (a smaller about 40 person con) in August, and Fright night may become a regular thing in October.

Also turning up to WARGS is another great way to meet people.

So yeah I would say we have a pretty active scene.

Hope you make the move

Hugs

Nasia
artemis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah here a a few games that I know are either being played in Wellington now, or have been played in the last couple of years, or someone is planning to run a game of it soon. I hope this givces you an idea of tastes.

Exalted
Scion
D&D
Blue Planet
Truth and Justice
PTA
Reign
New World of Darkness (people are mainly talking about Changeling, Werewolf or Mage).
Shadowrun
Star Wars Saga
Warhammer Fantasy rpg

And I am sure there are others I have forgotten or simply didnt hear about.

Hugs
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to move to Wellington...what's the gaming like? Reply with quote

morgue wrote:
Scurvy_Platypus wrote:

Marvel Saga
Marvel Universe
BESMd20
Blue Planet
Everway
Dragonstar
Providence

I'm sure Paulie, Wellington's resident T&J enthusiast, will be along soon to jump up and down that you mention it in your game list.

Me, I'm just surprised and pleased to see someone rockin' the Marvel stones game! And Dragonstar too. Neat.

Ivan and highwayman have the right of it - there is *lots* of gaming going on here. That said, I think the only failsafe way to get a spot in a game fast is to start one yourself.

Oooooh oooh and eagerly awaiting the outbreak of swashbucklers of the seven skies / end fanboy rant.

but all seriousness aside we are a active bunch , we should also mention the VUW games club as it operates through the uni year. A good place to find a stable game.

kapcon is a great place to meet gamers (thats in january next year,) as is WARGS.

the thing i can most reccomend is just poping into these boards and see what is happening

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
Scurvy_Platypus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies folks. My wife has finished the negotiations, and it looks like we'll be leaving the U.S. and moving to Wellington around May.

It's going to be a permanent move for us, so I'm sure I'll eventually be able to find a group to join, or start running stuff myself. Very Happy
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemis wrote:
Oh yeah here a a few games that I know are either being played in Wellington now, or have been played in the last couple of years, or someone is planning to run a game of it soon. I hope this givces you an idea of tastes.

Exalted
Scion
D&D
Blue Planet
Truth and Justice
PTA
Reign
New World of Darkness (people are mainly talking about Changeling, Werewolf or Mage).
Shadowrun
Star Wars Saga
Warhammer Fantasy rpg

And I am sure there are others I have forgotten or simply didnt hear about.

Hugs

Did you hear that some people played Cinematic Unisystem last year? Wink

And I know FATE's being played at the moment.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
TrollForHire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May will be around the time of D&D 4.0 so there should be a few new D&D games kicking off about then. Even I'm working on a campaign for when it comes out.
Scurvy_Platypus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:

Mmmmm. I've got Angel, and like Cinematic Unisystem too.

And I've got Spirit of the Century, and it's my #2 favorite game (right after the PDQ system). I have high hopes to sit down and do a Spirit of Zir'An conversion.

TrollForHire wrote:
May will be around the time of D&D 4.0 so there should be a few new D&D games kicking off about then. Even I'm working on a campaign for when it comes out.

Heh.

I'm actually not a big fan of D&D straight out of the book. While I've got a number of d20 books, the only actual WotC book I own is the 3.5 PHB. I know I'll be forced to play 4E, but I'm going to avoid it as much as possible. I doubt 4E is actually going to be less rules intensive than 3.x is currently, it's just going to shuffle it around. My opinion of course. Smile

I'll wait and see though, and hope there's some 3rd party stuff that strips out whatever nifty bits 4E has, and makes 'em backwards compatible so I can do something like a rules-lighter d20/ D&D 3.75 Very Happy
artemis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really should have remembered Unisystem seeing I was in that game.

Must being goign daft.

Hugs
Liam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Regular Call of Cthulhu Game Reply with quote

I am looking at gettting a Cthulhu game off the ground. I have two players interested so far and so plenty of room for more! Drop me a note if interested.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scurvy_Platypus wrote:
Anarchangel wrote:

Mmmmm. I've got Angel, and like Cinematic Unisystem too.

Nah, the system was a total pain. Not enough discrimination between difficulty levels. I'm sticking with Bell curves from Now On (tm).

I guess that's OT.

Quote:
And I've got Spirit of the Century, and it's my #2 favorite game (right after the PDQ system). I have high hopes to sit down and do a Spirit of Zir'An conversion.

I'm really only using the Aspects rules in the end. The game is very "D&D meets Nobilis powered by Fate 3.0 as interpreted from Spirit of the Century". Does that sound like a mess? It works okay. Smile

In terms of finding games... Yeah, it can be a bit tricky. What gets people into a game seems to be largely:
1. The GM/Group are teh r0xx0rs
2. OMFG I <3 that game system!

Exalted, for a while, was a game engine where people were just universally keen to play. If you just mentioned the words "possible exalted game" anyone not in a game would wet themselves. I'm not sure what'll be the "uber cool" game in May next year. Smile

#1 only works well if you're active on the wider scene through these boards and the convention circuit. :/

But I guess that if you're willing to take a punt and play a few games with any old people until you find stuff that you like, you won't have too much difficulty. The reality of that is that you'll most likely end up joining an existing game, rather than one that's new formed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scurvy_Platypus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooooo...

Here I am a year, a month, and a shade over a week later. Kinda funny that.

Anyway, my wife took the job and at long last Immigration has finally approved our permanent visas. Looks like I'm going to be a stranger in a strange land... or something like that. Smile

We're due to land in Wellington January 9th it looks like.

It looks like there's something coming up called Kapcon, is that right? 20 something years of playing rpgs and I've never done the convention thing. If folks recommend it though and I happen to be in time for it, I suppose I'll give it a go. Anyone care to help out a fellow that's clueless and out of his depth regarding it? No clue where, when, how much, registration or... well, pretty much anything.

Also wondering, what's the general feeling about 4E these days? I'm thinking of asking for the books for XMas; D&D seems to be the de facto gateway game for finding rpg groups.

4E getting lots of love? Hate? People just ignoring it in general?

Any Talislanta and/or Hellas love? Should I pack my SotC book, or wait for it to arrive in some 2 or 3 months with the rest of my stuff?

Looking forward to making some new friends soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> WARGS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: