NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving on Up (to Wellington)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Moving on Up (to Wellington) Reply with quote

Hey guys, I don't post here a heck of a lot, but some may remember me over the years I've travelled to KapCon (1997-2004 most years). I'm moving up to Wellington from Christchurch next year with my partner and several animals, and we're struggling with living options.

Our current problem is accomodation. My partner is beginning post-graduate study at Victoria in mid-February, while I work on my thesis down here and kill time until my security clearance for my new job comes through. This could take 2-6 months (February to April effectively). Finding simple accomodation for her is a little complex (given she may move out at any time once I arrive and needs a quiet space for her study), and any ideas are appreciated.

Then comes the second problem! Once we're up there, we'll start looking to buy a house, but probably want to live up there a little while before buying, as you want to get this right. We have a dog (always a problem in flat hunting), and renting usually binds you into 6 month contracts minimum, which is okay, but not ideal. Again, any ideas here are very appreciated!

Finally, we looked at places to live in the long term on the weekend (flying up for a wander around last weekend) and have many many choices available. Our main concerns in moving to a new city is not getting isolated and getting lonely or homesick, so being available to do things with new friends is a big up, but having seen house prices and whats available to house a dog and a cat led us to Upper Hutt. It's beautiful and all, but it's so far out that we are concerned with being too far away to be invited to do things, and will get isolated. Has anyone got thoughts on this?

And yes, I'll be looking for a game to join once I'm up there next year... advance warning! Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long entry!
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick.

As us young RPGers get older and buy houses, quite a few have started to spread a little farther afield. Though Wellington still has the greatest concentration of RPGers, there are a few maturer RPGers in Upper Hutt and Kapiti (though many of these are breeding their own gaming groups Smile ).
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear there's likely to be groups away from the central city, I'm sure it will also be an asset in regards to making friends as well. As a fellow older gamer trying to buy a house, I'm sure there's plenty of advice I can receive ;)
itowlson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm based in Upper Hutt, and I manage to game (and do other stuff) in town on a regular basis. Yes, the travel time is inconvenient, but it's not prohibitive (at least provided you have a car; it wouldn't be too good by train). It depends on whether you want to be right in the middle of the action or whether you're happy to be selective.

Meeting people is definitely not dependent on living in town -- even when I first moved here I was living in Lower Hutt, and I still got plenty of chance to meet people through conventions, WARGS and the forums. Though again I guess it depends on how gregarious you are.

If you do decide to come to Upper Hutt then give me a yell when you get here -- I'll probably be looking to start a new game sometime after Kapcon.
TrollForHire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the Loafers Lodge, as a small temporary place, even as a base while you look around. It's a boarding house type thing but quite a tidy and safe one, but it's pricey, about $165 a week for a furnished room inc power and laundry room, but no pets allowed. And it's really super central, 10 mins to Courtenay Place, the main strip of town and half hour or so to Vic Uni.

As far as house hunting goes Upper Hutt IS miles away plus if you work in Wellington City (or study there) you'll completely waste any assumed "savings" on travel costs and parking if you use a car. A train ride takes 45+ minutes each way and driving can be about the same, or more at peak times, whereas you'll never pay more than $3.50 each way on a bus if you live in the inner suburbs, cheaper for monthly or ten trip ($95 for unlimited bus travel for a month, includes weekends and holidays). You probably won't find much more than a $60 difference between Upper Hutt or an inner city suburb anyway since everyone has pretty much pushed rents to the absolute limits.

Upper Hutt has all the amenities you'll need and plenty of space for furballs to run around but it IS a little isolated and you can look forward to travelling a lot for decent regular gaming or events. It's a nice quiet little bur though, definately describable as "Mostly Harmless".
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itowlson wrote:
Yes, the travel time is inconvenient, but it's not prohibitive (at least provided you have a car; it wouldn't be too good by train).

I have a car, so thats not a problem. My partner doesn't drive yet, which is an issue in the evenings when she may need to walk from the train station to home in the dark if I'm out of town - which is one of the considerations we're taking into account. Of course, she could get her license by then, but we seriously need to up the lessons!

itowlson wrote:
...Though again I guess it depends on how gregarious you are.

Since we won't know more than a handful of people, we'll be out and about at every opportunity at first, simply to ensure people know we're there!

itowlson wrote:
If you do decide to come to Upper Hutt then give me a yell when you get here -- I'll probably be looking to start a new game sometime after Kapcon.

Color me interested - even if we end up in Lower Hutt. It's not a long drive, heck I go further for my weekly games as it is right now.

I've definately got the impression that Upper Hutt is quiet and good for kids. However, I'm also seeing that people that grew up there have a tendency to hate the place and wanted to leave, while those who moved there love it. Aren't forums fun!

I'll get in contact with rental agencies now and see if I can find one willing to negotiate for a 6 month contract and room for a dog.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrollForHire wrote:
As far as house hunting goes Upper Hutt IS miles away plus if you work in Wellington City (or study there) you'll completely waste any assumed "savings" on travel costs and parking if you use a car.

That is not true in my experience and I did considerable analysis of this. Yes there are more travel costs but what you get extra for you house buying dollar is considerably more.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick_Adams wrote:

Since we won't know more than a handful of people, we'll be out and about at every opportunity at first, simply to ensure people know we're there!

If it's at all possible, you should try to make it to KapCon. Almost everyone who has a public profile will make an appearance. It is the single best opportunity to meet new gamers in Wellington. I imagine that Ivan will not be alone in trying to arrange new games in the post-KapCon high (though none will get a higher recommendation from me than Ivan.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TrollForHire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another Handy site for finding accomodation around Wellington, although it IS biased towards The Professional, who pretty much pwn Upper Hutt btw, dirty scumbag bastards that they are.

You basically don't get shit for under $250 no matter where you go.

http://www.allrealestate.co.nz/cgi-bin/rsearch?cu=fn-rnz&a=sf&s=nzni&regionid=9110&t=ren&snf=rbs
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Professionals look to dominate the Hutt valley - as the Harcourts lady put it, the guy who runs it puts lots back into the community so he's hard to compete with. We've got a pretty good plan now, like renting for 6 months in the Hutt valley in a place that takes a dog, then buying during that period.

I can't make KapCon this year, rather broke atm, but I'd been going for about 7 years for a while, so shouldn't be too hard to get into the local community ;)
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nzrag.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1737
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
TrollForHire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That won't work at all, Glock has CATS, and Nick has a DOG, that's like putting me in a room full of christians or fags and telling me to behave.
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Troll said.
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very surprised if the dog was deployed north with the initial expeditionary force and if a non-dog part of the Nick-unit moves, and Glock and Co. are amenable to a temporary solution, then that would not be a problem. Thus my post.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sur we could could work something out, Id prefer a full time flatmate though as I have a busy year ahead and finding new flatmates is a pain.

b
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: