NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chimera 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
How many of the LARPs be based around boffer combat? It's not something we do much of down here, and although I know there is a few weapons floating around there is not a lot we could bring up.

If it helps I brought about a dozen weapons of various sizes over with me, people would be welcome to borrow them.
Anna K

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
A couple of quick questions.
Roughly how long does it take to travel from the airport to the Venue?

About 20 minutes, maybe a bit more if we account for Friday evening traffic.

Quote:
How many of the LARPs be based around boffer combat? It's not something we do much of down here, and although I know there is a few weapons floating around there is not a lot we could bring up.

Our lineup is still incomplete, but there are a few that involve boffer combat. Each time slot offers three games, and only one per time slot is likely to involve boffer combat (i.e. the other two won't) If you'd like to give boffer combat games a go, I'm sure we can arrange for you to borrow some gear Smile

On a similar vein, a lot of larpers in Auckland enjoy costuming but Chimera is very much designed to accomodate new larpers or visiting larpers too, so we will be making sure to provide a number of costume-lite game options too.
Stephanie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
Anna K wrote:
* There is free onsite accommodation. The venue is a scout camp, so it will be clean, if a little spartan. There will also be access to bathrooms and showers.

Excellent. One problem solved, and we get to be clean too!
he showers are pretty good - hot with lots of pressure. It used to be, back in the Mordavia days ([creaky voice]when I was a lass[/creaky voice]) that one of the distinct advantages to crewing was that you got to sleep in the dorm rooms that had only four bunks and doors that locked. I think everyone will be in those ones at Chimera, though.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if anyone wants to fly, JetStar is doing $1 fares at noon today.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4850469a13.html

(no, not spam)
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, the server has crashed under the load. Damn.
morgue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still interested in this con... *checks calendar* hmmm...
Anna K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're working on our fabulous games line up for Chimera 2009, and we're still in need of six games, and would like to invite the talented theatreform writers of Wellington to contribute to our line up Smile

The criteria for our games are as follows:
* Characters must be prewritten, and mechanics must be reasonably simple.
* The game must take no more than three hours to run, including set up time, briefings and debriefings. That is to say, if you're in the 10am-1pm slot, you've only got those three hours.
* One-off games are preferred, campaign games are invitational only. Campaign games too are heavily encouraged to write "stand alone" type games, to be easily accesible by newbies and out-of-towners.
* Your game must be completed by August 1st so we can be sure to have a ready game on the day of the convention.
* Reruns are okay, but only with permission of original author.
* No more than 20 people per game. This includes GMs and crew.
* Timeslot and game space to be decided by Anna and Moo in conjunction with organiser

Simone "Moo" Michaux is our GM and Gear Liason this year. She will be the one in charge of organising gear for all events and keeping in touch with GMs to make sure everything is on track.

If you've got an idea to discuss or would like to commit to writing us a game, please don't hesitate to contact me via PM or through the Chimera email: chimera@nzlarps.org
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've booked my flights up and back. I'm leaving Wellington 3pm on Friday getting there at 4pm and coming back at 7pm on Sunday. There are tickets for $49 available at the moment.

If anyone else is going up let me know so we can arrange transport in Auckland.
Anna K

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until our website is ready to go live (CSS coding help desperately welcome), I thought I would provide some of the details that people might be wanting about Chimera this year.

Friday
Chimera will kick off at 7:30pm with an informal Meet and Greet in the main hall. There will be some nibbles and drinks provided. This is a chance to meet some of the new people and catch up with old friends before the larping kicks off. At 9pm, the first round of games will begin, featuring three horror larps and one horror alternative (an action-comedy James Bond spoof) Friday will wrap up at midnight.

Saturday
Breakfast will be available from 8:30am on site. The second round of games will start at 10am sharp, all players and GMs will need to muster at the registration table at 9:50am. The games will run until 1pm, at which point there will be a one hour break for costume change and lunch. Lunch will be available on site. The third round will start at 2pm and all players and GMs are required to muster at 1:50pm. This round comes to a finish at 5pm. Dinner will be available on site until 6:30pm. Briefing for round four, The Great Exhibition, will start at 7:30pm and the game proper will begin at 8pm. The evening, complete with clean up and debrief, is expected to wind up at midnight.

Sunday
Breakfast will be available from 8:30am on site. The fifth round of games will start at 10am sharp, all players and GMs will need to muster at the registration table at 9:50am. The games will run until 1pm, at which point there will be a one hour break for costume change and lunch. Lunch will be available on site. The sixth round will start at 2pm and all players and GMs are required to muster at 1:50pm. This round comes to a finish at 5pm. Everyone is expected to help clean up the venue and we expect to be ready to leave at 6pm. Informal post-Chimera dinner/drinks is a possibility, if any of us are still standing by this stage in the weekend.

Food on Site
Kim Smits, the head chef at the catering company Gobble Platters, will be catering the weekend. She will be preparing warm, healthy food for Saturday and Sunday. A menu will be available shortly. Vegan and gluten-free options will be available. Costs are still to be established, but as an estimate, breakfast will be $5 and dinners and lunches will be $7 per meal. Soft drinks and candy will be available also.

Costs
Chimera will cost as follows:
Full Convention - $50 (a $5 discount is available for nzLARPS members, as well as a $5 discount for payment before August 1st. These discounts stack)
One Day Only - $25 (no discounts apply)
The Great Exhibition only - $10 (no discounts apply)

Accommodation
There are 56 beds available at the venue. Accommodation is free of charge but priority will be given for those coming from out of Auckland.

Games
Games will be run by a variety of people in a variety of genres. Each round will run a minimum of three games, with the exception of Round Four, which is the centrepiece of the convention, "The Great Exhibition" larp written by Rowena Knill and David Luxton. Other games for the weekend include stand-alone games from the Nightmare Circle, Bad Dreams, Requiem, Multiverse and Knightshade, as well as newly written theatreform games. There will also be larp-lite events such as Orcball and the return of the Soap Opera larp.

This weekend will run a marathon seventeen larps! More are still needed, so get in touch to discuss your idea.

Contact
If you have questions about Chimera, please post here, PM me or email chimera@nzlarps.org
Stephanie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Ok I've booked my flights up and back. I'm leaving Wellington 3pm on Friday getting there at 4pm and coming back at 7pm on Sunday. There are tickets for $49 available at the moment.

Right, I'm booked for the same times you are - taxi/hire car sharing would be, like, neat. Smile
There are still some flights for $49, but no longer for the 3pm flight.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie wrote:
Scott wrote:

Right, I'm booked for the same times you are - taxi/hire car sharing would be, like, neat. Smile
There are still some flights for $49, but no longer for the 3pm flight.

I'll probably bail on that one too. Much cheaper than going from PN, and much quicker than driving all the way.
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok we have 5 confirmed going up at the same time from Wellington.

Are there others that are thinking about going at this stage? Just wondering, so can consider transport once we get to Auckland. At the moment can go with a hire car or taxi/shuttle. If there is more people can look at a hire van or shuttles.
James P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite keen for this, actually. Will have to get transport organised.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anna K

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Our website is fast heading towards completed - our sincere apologies about how long we've taken to get that online, we had something of a dearth of coders in our community. But with Ryan Paddy's help (and by help, I mean he did all of it), we're only a few days out from launching the website for Chimera 2009.

Things are progressing well backstage and we have a very cool line up of games available, but alas it still has gaps. Chimera 2009 is still in need of three theatreform games: a small horror game for Friday night, a small game for Saturday morning to go in the same slot as Knightshade (fantasy) and Requiem (White Wolf modern day supernatural horror) and we need someone to volunteer to read, convert and facilitate the highly acclaimed script for "The Final Voyage of the Mary Celeste" - or alternately provide a third game for the final Sunday afternoon slot.

We would love to offer more Wellington games in the line up, so if you're interested in providing a game to meet one of those requirements, or if you've got an idea, please contact me Smile
Stephanie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, registration is open!

And I'm running a game!

Which I haven't written yet!
(Actually, that last one is probably not yay. Smile)

Note to other Wellingtonian Chimera attendees:
If you're on the same flight home as me (7pm), you might want to arrange with Anna the Larp Goddess to trade in your hour of mandatory packing out of the site to an hour of helping in the kitchen or alternate cleanup, so as to be able to guarantee getting to the airport in good order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Upcoming Cons All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: