NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARGS content: Troubleshooting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
morgue

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: WARGS content: Troubleshooting Reply with quote

I've been mulling for a while about another set of content which could be offered at WARGS to add value for attendees and help draw/retain attendees.

Today's new game column by Robin Laws reminded me. Here's his quote:

"Whenever I serve as a guest at a gaming convention, I make it a policy to ask the seminar organizer to set up a panel on Game Mastering Troubleshooting. On a minute by minute basis, I've learned more about roleplaying as it actually occurs from fielding questions at these seminars than in any other forum. By keeping the focus on Q&A, as opposed to abstract panelist pontification, one gets a real sense of the practical problems that plague groups wherever polyhedrals are rolled."
http://www.dyingearth.com/pagexxapril2006.htm

Whatever your opinions about Laws' analysis of different gamer tastes, this general point about the value of a Troubleshooting forum is sound. I've had the same experience, in conversations at parties and at cons and online, where the best bits of RPG forums are invariably the ones where someone posts about problems in his game and seeks advice and insight.

We can/should offer the same thing at WARGS.

I am unsure at this stage how this would interact with the Game Designer's Cabal stuff.

Thoughts?
artemis

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game sdesigners cabal almost seems to be taking on this role. But its a good thought.
Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a really good idea,

maybe its a good ideas to set up alist of tipics that we could discuss

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
morgue

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think this is a nice idea. Maybe we need to yammer about it at a Game Designer Cabal thingy. Because I agree the GDC is doing a bit of this right now, and it's working okay, but making it more explicit and separate might be a good thing too.

Worth thinking about.

I still believe that a troubleshooting service is a great add-on to WARGS' functions and will be something that keeps people coming back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> WARGS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: