NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARGs News:
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
artemis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: WARGs News: Reply with quote

Firstly I would like to welcome Conan to the Exec.

Next due to the lack of interest we are considering stopping the monthly meetings and concentrating on events. We are also considering having less formal gatherings at a Cafe or something a few insterad.

No one at the meeting had a very good reason why this should not go ahead so this is your chance to offer feedback.

Hugs All

Nasia
Flamebunny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squee says the observatory is still happy to allow events for a donation charge only.
Adrexia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the observatory idea. The cafe wouldn't be bad either.

It's just the Tuesday night thing that I can't do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
itowlson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a shame.

For me as a new arrival in Wellington the WARGS meetings have been a fantastic opportunity to meet people, find out what games are going on and extend my gaming beyond my usual crowd. Comparing this with the last two places I lived, where there wasn't a hub like WARGS and I gamed with pretty much the same people for my entire time there, I think people don't appreciate what a difference WARGS makes.

And yes, I know I haven't been able to make them lately but that has been the inevitable timing issues rather than lack of interest.

Arguably the strong online hub at nzrag is more important long-term, but the chance to meet people and play with them in a no-commitment environment -- and to have them meet you -- really helps break the ice compared to having to post a message into the ether effectively saying "You don't know me and I don't know you, but can I play in your game?"
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pondering this question, and a couple of thoughts have occured in a rough and nebulous form. It's relatively clear that WARGS isn't drawing people en masse. Maybe the format of potential one-shot or discussion isn't working.

One model which seems to work elsewhere are the quarterly conventions in Otago. The difficulty is that they, IIRC, get almost free venue use from the University to stage these, so they don't need to make any money. CONfusion, our closest analogy uses Turnbull... which costs money.

Wellington almost has a quarterly calendar of events.
January - KapCon
May/June - LARP
August - CONfusion

Unfortunately, these don't fall under the aegis of a united Wellington-wide organisation, and I don't think there's a popular idea of them being "community" activities. That would be, I think, the ideal; and largely matches the WARGS function of bringing disparate people together in a "committment free" environment to find other gamers.

In fact, I think we really see four largely discongruous groups in the Wellington scene.

- LARPers, usually only appear at the May LARP and KapCon
- The Rest, who turn up only to KapCon or CONfusion
- Games Club people, who are often reticent about conventions
- RPGA/Others, who never interact with the other three

KapCon is by far the most broadly popular and attended, and CONfusion/May LARP seem to take about a third that number. It seems that there must be some way to weld these groups "together" for mutual benefit; I have no idea how to do this, but if I figure out how to get the Games Club people to go to CONfusion that'll be a nice first step.

Part of the problem too is that there are a large number of "invisible" gamers, who don't even realise that NZRAG/WARGS/Games Club/KapCon exist. There must be, based on the survival of stores like Graphic, which couldn't be supported by the "visible" community. I have been having fantastical dreams recently of even going as far as trying to get a radio advert for things like CONfusion & KapCon. One year if KapCon makes a big enough profit, that seems like it might pay off in the long-run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itowlson wrote:
That would be a shame.

For me as a new arrival in Wellington ...

As another new arrival, I agree entirely, but unfortunately attendance hasn't justified the cost of the room in the three months that I've been in town.

I think some sort of cafe or bar meeting is a good idea. Then you can always have a coffee/beer while you chat/play/seminarise. An environment like that also means that additional evenings could be inserted relatively easily if necessary or desired.

The one-off scene is one of Wellington's strengths.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:

Wellington almost has a quarterly calendar of events.
January - KapCon
May/June - LARP
August - CONfusion

If Confusion is financially viable, I don't see why WARGS couldn't run one or two more mini-cons at other times of the year.

Has anyone asked VUWGC members why they don't go to conventions?
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Akira

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:

Has anyone asked VUWGC members why they don't go to conventions?

I can only speak for myself...I`ll make an appearance at Confusion and I`m sure I`ll attend KapCon. But then I feel pretty integrated into the community outside of VUWGC even though I`ve never made it to a single WARGS meeting. I know a couple of GMs who`ll run games and I know artemis who seems to be responsible for the boardgaming. That`s enough information and connetion for me to go there.
So...(much blah for a single point)...I don`t know why people don`t go to conventions. Confused I`ve just noticed that only a few of the newer VUWGC people are registrated in this forum so it might be a problem of integration.
spiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add in my 2c. Not playing Devil's advocate or anything...

I don't go to cons or to clubs for 1 reason. Too many bad experiences with people I know. I started playing RPGs many years ago.. I must have been 10 or 12. Typically, as I grew, I started expecting more out of the people I was playing with. Expectations may have grown disproportionately when I was in 4th form (maybe 5th, it's all a blur..) I played in a big game for the whole year called the DDAD&D Day. Dole Day AD&D Day. Every Thursday for the whole year.. I may not have done too well at school as a result. Wink

All these guys were at least 10 years older than me, and they'd been gaming for a while. While it wasn't always the most serious game, to my young impressionable mind, they were serious gamers. And when I started gaming with others closer to my age group, it was very rarely that I actually enjoyed myself.

Some people were munchkins, some always treated everything as a joke (in fact one of them being one of the original DMs in the DDAD&D Day), some were far too serious, and some had no idea how to play in a group. They were always off doing their own thing.

It got to the point where I just stopped playing RPGs. Sure they weren't all like this, but you get to the point where the taste left in your mouth is so bitter, that you'd rather not go through that again.

The point of my rant is this:

If I can't play games with people I know and like, there's no way on this green earth that I'm going to play a game with a bunch of people I've never met before.

That may be a contrary opinion to that of those on a public forum, but I'm sure lots of your "invisible" players may be in the same boat.

RPGs still fascinate me, and I still buy lots of different rule books and source books, but I don't think I'm likely to get into another gaming group, and I definitely wouldn't go to a con.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I can't play games with people I know and like, there's no way on this green earth that I'm going to play a game with a bunch of people I've never met before.

That may be a contrary opinion to that of those on a public forum, but I'm sure lots of your "invisible" players may be in the same boat.

Not to be rude or anything, but if you don't actually participate in the hobby, you're not an "invisibile" anything, you're simply not a part of the community. I mean, it's obvious right? I'm not gay, therefore, not part of the gay community?

OTOH, I urge you to take this as an invitation to come and be a member of the community. Come to CONfusion, all you have to lose are $15 and three hours of your life (minimum, up to 10 if you play in three games).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiro wrote:

I don't agree with Mash that you have to actually play to be part of the community, but if you don't "play", you're hardly an invisible "player", are you?

At any rate, the people I was asking about is that subset of the Wellington gaming community who visibly play at VUWGC, yet don't attend cons.

Out of interest, I've heard of Bitter Non Gamers, but never met one. Have you met people who have had a similar experience? Personally, I don't understand buying gaming material without at least wanting to play, but each to their own. Smile

As Mash said, if you have a few hours and a few dollars to spare, a little con like CONfusion might bring you back into the fold. Wink
My LJ
spiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both good points.. I have played occassionally over the last decade, just not very often.

I do buy rulebooks with the desire to play. The last one I bought was Shadownrun 4th ed. And I want to buy WFRP 2nd ed as well. All intention to play, but all of the gamers I know are on two extreme scales. They're either too serious, or not serious enough.

More board games, wargames and Xbox games have taken my attention. Smile

I'll look into this CONfusion. I can never be too confused..
spiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was easy. I'm going to be booked into the Intercontinental with the Missus that day, so can't make it. Sad
artemis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably point out that if people arent going to be playing in all the sessions or are only droppig by to say hi I will either only charge them for the sessions they are part of or not at all.

Did that make sense?

Example 1 session = $5
2 Sessions = $10

Saying hi = nothing.

Hugs all
Flamebunny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know several older gamers who have become bitter and no longer play very much. My Big brother is a perfect example, he used to love roleplaying and NoW as soon as he sees my books he gets this sad unhappy look. He point blank wont play with other people anymore due to bad experiences he has encountered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> WARGS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: