Day of Games 2012

Convention time drawing near? Better let us know so we don't miss out!

Moderator: Paul

Re: Day of Games 2012

Postby karen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:43 am

I'll probably be staying at my folk's or with R&D, and can give you a lift home after if there's no-one closer :)
karen

Postby Mike Sands » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:50 am

karen wrote:I'll probably be staying at my folk's or with R&D, and can give you a lift home after if there's no-one closer :)

Thanks! It is much appreciated.
Mike Sands

Postby Mike Sands » Thu May 03, 2012 8:44 am

A festival of printing and I think I am now ready for Day of Games.

On offer:
- Fiasco (including the brand new monthly playset "Salem 1692", full of witch-hunting fun. And, obviously, by "fun" I mean "awfulness.")
- The One Ring (with a couple of scenarios from their "Tales from Wilderland" collection).
- Monster of the Week, of course. A choice of "The Killing Darkness" or "Beyond the Frontiers of Science."
Mike Sands

Postby IdiotSavant » Sat May 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Well, that was good, even if I had to bail due to tiredness.

The new venue worked reasonably well, though was loud in the main hall. The proliferation of spaces meant most games could avoid that.
Playing: D&D5
Running: Laundry Files; Uncharted Worlds
Planning: KapCon XXV; The Gehenna Memo (Hydra 2016), Boffo's Birthday Bash (Phoenix 2016)
IdiotSavant

Postby Anarchangel » Sun May 06, 2012 1:08 am

I liked the venue a lot, particularly the proximity to a variety of food options. Nice one Sophie!
Ardens Ludere
My games: The Sprawl; Conquering Corsairs.
Con Rotation: The Sprawl; Dungeon World.
Anarchangel

Postby Mike Sands » Sun May 06, 2012 5:13 am

+1 to what Hamish said.

I managed to only run game (and that Fiasco) so yay for playing things instead of running stuff all day!

Lessons learned: "your own thief is much more dangerous than a pair of dragon bears." Alternatively, "don't trust Simon."

Second lesson learned: "don't ask Hamish about his spear."
Mike Sands

Postby itowlson » Sun May 06, 2012 7:46 am

For me, the best Day of Games yet.

I had mixed feelings about the venue. The acoustics of the big hall were a problem, though not as much as I expected the one time I was in there. But the RSA room and the couch in the lobby were excellent, on-site parking was handy, and as Hamish said it was great to have so many cafes and takeaways so close!

One person did comment to me about the pitching mechanism -- the 'right to left' approach meant that it was hard to know what one's options were so should you put your hand up for a game you felt tepidly about, or wait in hope of a better one and risk being left with a game you weren't interested in at all? I know this is a perennial issue though, and that we were a bit stymied by the lack of a whiteboard or similar 'today's specials' mechanism.

Anyway, I had a wonderful time regardless. Thank you, Sophie, for making it happen.
itowlson

Postby karen » Sun May 06, 2012 8:42 am

Thank you Sophie... I had an excellent day!

Also thanks to Steve for A Wicked Archipelago, Ivan for two rounds of Left Coast (definitely one of my favourite games atm) and everyone who played in Horrorscopes in round 4 and gave me great feedback. I'll try and write the rules up soon for everyone who has aked me for a copy... nag me in July :)
karen

Postby Sophmelc » Sun May 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi all,

Glad that everyone had a great time. The lack of whiteboard was a pain, so we'll try and remedy that. The main hall was going to be an issue, but considering the other spaces that could be used I decided it was a worth while risk.

It was by far the largest Day of Games so far with about 40 people turning up over the course of the day. So thanks to everyone for coming along and making it the fun that it was.
Sophmelc

Postby Graymauser » Mon May 07, 2012 9:17 am

My first Day of Games, had a great day.. I liked the venue, felt relaxed. Easy being close to the shops.

Been wanting to play fiasco for a while and really enjoyed it, thanks to Mike and the East End gang. Nice one Geezers!

Loved the Left coast, inspirational, still thinking of the plot seeds and characters, would love to play this over a longer time to develop all those threads and links, thanks Ivan, karen and Nick, and Steve. Be great to make a Hutt group happen..

Monster Hearts was fun, laughed alot in between the serious slayer/teen angst, got to witness some real tree love, fun to finish the day, thanks Freya and people!

And for organising, went easy for me, thanks Sophie
Graymauser

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Cons