Con-fusion?

Convention time drawing near? Better let us know so we don't miss out!

Moderator: Paul

Re: Con-fusion?

Postby Mike Sands » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:01 am

I played in Sophie's Buffyverse Monster of the Week game, playing the demonic Angel to Daniel's slayer (kind of. A scary uncle rather than dangerous romantic partner). Good fun, and a satisfyingly apocalyptic climax.

Then I ran The Terror at Taylor Farm, another Monster of the Week mystery. That was filled with craziness, in particular Sam's Mundane reporter who ran straight into the most dangerous place she could find every time the others weren't keeping an eye on her.

Thanks to Paul and Alasdair for being game to playtest my new Exile playbook, too. It seemed to work well! It was certainly fun watching you. Paul's was a 16th century Transyvanian vampire slayer, and Alasdair's a 17th century roundhead witch-hunter. Both were the perfect combination of "good at monster slaying, bad at being in the modern world" that is intended. If I can wangle I chance to be a hunter in another MotW game, I am going to go ahead and play one from Homeric Greece. Not quite the maximum level of difference (which would be paleolithic I guess), but should be a lot of fun.

Lastly, played The Sprawl with Hamish. My driver Aziz was a flashy but standoffish chap, not involved in the nitty gritty of the mission but swooping in when needed to save the day with his pimped out ride. I loved the setting and link generation - gives the game a good feeling of depth. I wish we could have played more than a one shot to see what happened later - and also to stop the Russian gangsters from having us all murdered, which appeared to be next on their to do list.

Plus, it was good to see you all and chat. And thanks to those of you who bought a copy of Monster of the Week (note: if you have not received an email with PDF download details, then I couldn't find an email address for you. PM me your email address and I'll hook you up with the PDF edition too).
Mike Sands

Postby itowlson » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:26 am

Seconding the thanks to the organisers. "The Quiet Year" was engaging and thought-provoking, as we chronicled how a community trying to rebuild sabotaged itself through religious, military and social blunders, and by destroying its own heart to fund its desperate needs. I hugely enjoyed running "Agon" for THE GLORY THAT WAS NICK ADAMS and his Lesser Companions Whose Names Are Probably Known To A Few Scholars But Need Not Concern Us Here; special thanks to Nick Cole for actually asking to be attacked by panthers, and apologies to everyone we disturbed with our Dale Elvy-esque bellowing. My personal highlight was Sam's "Changeling" game which balanced a perfect fairytale surface and an intrigue plot with a web of complex, horrific subtexts. Recommended if she runs it again!
itowlson

Postby Mike Sands » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:29 pm

How did the Fiascos go in round two? I think two games were played, yeah? Which playsets? What cool (horrible) stuff went down?
Mike Sands

Postby Sam » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:13 am

itowlson wrote: My personal highlight was Sam's "Changeling" game which balanced a perfect fairytale surface and an intrigue plot with a web of complex, horrific subtexts. Recommended if she runs it again!

Thanks Ivan. I enjoyed running it once my nerves got under control :D
Sam

Postby Dale » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:20 am

itowlson wrote:and apologies to everyone we disturbed with our Dale Elvy-esque bellowing.

Wait, what?! That is so not a thing. ;)

Sam wrote:Thanks Ivan. I enjoyed running it once my nerves got under control :D

Re-run for Kapcon?

This IS Sparta!
EPOCH a game of character-driven survival horror
Dale

Postby Alasdair » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 am

Alasdair

Postby Stephanie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 am

Dale wrote:
itowlson wrote:and apologies to everyone we disturbed with our Dale Elvy-esque bellowing.

Yeah, it is. :-)
Stephanie

Postby Steve Hickey » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 am

Alasdair, that's a really lovely write-up. I especially liked your conclusion:

There was a great sense of CONfusion being a community event; not necessarily that everyone there was a specific friend of everyone else, but that everyone was very comfortable in the environment, had plenty of other people to talk to, and a general sense that everyone there was in it together.

I hadn't noticed that at the time, but you're absolutely right.
Steve Hickey

Postby Alasdair » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:28 am

Stephanie wrote:
Dale wrote:

Yeah, it is. :-)

I thought he meant that it was more like a swarm than a thing per se...
Alasdair

Postby Anarchangel » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Here's mine:

http://anarchangel23.livejournal.com/449840.html

I also agree with Mash's assessment of the community feeling at Confusion. I had a great time both in all the games and between rounds talking to you all. Well played, Wellington!
Ardens Ludere
My games: The Sprawl; Conquering Corsairs.
Con Rotation: The Sprawl; Dungeon World.
Anarchangel

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Cons