Day of Games 2013

Convention time drawing near? Better let us know so we don't miss out!

Moderator: Paul

Re: Day of Games 2013

Postby morgue » Sun May 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Those bastard occupiers! Very keen to hear more about Dog Eat Dog! How many players? Did your traits & rules make for fun play?
morgue

Postby Mike Sands » Sun May 05, 2013 11:10 pm

morgue wrote:Those bastard occupiers! Very keen to hear more about Dog Eat Dog! How many players? Did your traits & rules make for fun play?

Hm, I don't recall all the traits, but the essence is in the previous description:

natives: artistic, family oriented, musical rituals very important
occupiers: militaristic, industrial, worship of military heroes

It was fun to play, although perhaps it would have been better if we'd built in more problematic traits for the natives, and less for the occupiers. Next time I play, I'd like to try and make the occupiers more sympathetic.

Still, we had a split in the native players - two of us got pushed too far and ran amuck, and the others tried to make the best of it and avoid unresolvable confrontations (although only one ended up totally assimilated).

Edit to add: creating the rules with the other natives was a great part of it. One of the final ones we came up with was "collaborators get rewarded". Ouch.
Mike Sands

Postby itowlson » Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 am

I agree, the traits we ended up with for the Occupation were very focused around militarism and force, resulting in a game with little room for nuance. I was still fairly happy that we reached a focus on family and creative traditions, and we did explore how those traditions affected the natives' internal interactions as well as how they approached the Occupation; but it's fair to say that the Occupation pretty much crashed into those traditions with all the subtlety of a tank and only in the final moments found a way to co-opt them as part of the subjugation.

Morgue, you asked about vital statistics.

We had five players including the Occupation. Three of us had played before in your Kapcon game: me and the two Germans whose names I shamefully failed to remember. (If you're reading this, sorry, and it was great to see you again!)

We ended the game with the Occupation on 2 tokens, and the two surviving natives on 4 and 6. The natives had essentially knuckled under in return for surface concessions and were going to take the remaining Occupation tokens in the next scene, and we decided to close on a decisive scene rather than play out a pro forma token exchange.

The traits were:

Native

They are musical and use music extensively (e.g. in rituals)
They are rich in resources, so much so that they don't see them as (financially) valuable
Their society is organised around extended families
Families are defined by women, and men can be transferred between or expelled from families by the women
Their craftsmanship is personalised and innovative

Occupation

They set great store by military ability, and status depends on military success
They use force rather than cunning
They always aim to be as polite as possible
They value useful materials over luxury ones
Their military heroes are elevated as their gods, and are worshipped as such

I would say we sometimes struggled to find good rules (again, I can share these if you like). There is definitely a knack to coming up with rules (and traits!) that force hard decisions on both the natives and the occupation, and it would be an interesting exercise to put together a catalogue of 'good' rules and see if one could extract some helpful templates without it feeling too prescriptive -- the book provides very little guidance or advice.

Anyway, I had a blast. Thanks to everyone who played, and thanks also to Daena, Steph and Frank for "The Quiet Year" and to Daena and Steph for stepping in at the last minute to make it all happen!
itowlson

Postby housemonkey » Mon May 06, 2013 2:58 pm

What they said! I had a great time, Monster of the Week and Dog Eat Dog are games I want to play again soon.
Thanks to Daena and Steph for saving the day, but also Sophie for doing the initial donkeywork, and to Mike S and Ivan for the games, and all the marvellous players in both rounds I was in.
All the energy of a rat, trapped in a can
housemonkey

Postby morgue » Mon May 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Fascinating detail about the game, thanks!

I'm very pleased Day of Games happened and happened well.
morgue

Postby Dale » Mon May 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Ah bugger, I forgot this was on. Did you get a playtest of your EPOCH scenario Mike, or was it not voted for by the tribal council? Also, were there nuns?
EPOCH a game of character-driven survival horror
Dale

Postby Mike Sands » Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Dale wrote:Ah bugger, I forgot this was on. Did you get a playtest of your EPOCH scenario Mike, or was it not voted for by the tribal council? Also, were there nuns?

No, didn't get to try the modified Coldest Winter - nobody seemed to be in the mood for icy doom.
Mike Sands

Postby Anarchangel » Sat May 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Mike Sands wrote:Thanks to Daena and Steph for rescuing Day of Games! It was fun!

I think the highlight of my days was in Dog Eat Dog, when the militaristic occupiers (Ivan) told our family-oriented, artistic natives that our families would be split up into work-gang dormitories to be more efficient workers. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I never thought the Stanford Prison Experiment would go so horrifically!
Ardens Ludere
My games: The Sprawl; Conquering Corsairs.
Con Rotation: The Sprawl; Dungeon World.
Anarchangel

Previous

Return to Upcoming Cons