Au Contraire 2013 - New Zealand SF National Convention

Convention time drawing near? Better let us know so we don't miss out!

Moderator: Paul

Au Contraire 2013 - New Zealand SF National Convention

Postby Tamahori » Wed May 08, 2013 11:55 am

Each year there is a National New Zealand Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention, or NatCon, which is in essence a several day long get-together/party for fans of all things SF, fantasy, or generally geeky, with formal events and panels on a wide range of interesting topics throughout the weekend. Each year is run by a different group of people, typically with some people that have run conventions before and advice from previous convention committees, in a different location. (FAQ)

This year the NatCon is Au Contraire 2013, taking place in Wellington from Friday the 12th to the Sunday 14th of July, 2013 (last weekend of university holidays) at the Quality Hotel, Upper Cuba Street. This is the second Au Contraire, the previous having been in 2010, and was a lot of fun for all involved. Aside from the obvious overlap between gaming fans and SF/Fantasy fans, this year’s convention is planning on having a heavier gaming influence than previous conventions, with several LARP and RPGs being run over the event, and a board-gaming room.

The standard rate is $60 for the entire convention, but reduced rates are available for those on low incomes or for single day memberships, as low as $10 for just the Friday. Or if you can afford it, you can pay the solidarity rate to help subsidise those less well off. Do note there is no discount for running panels and/or games, as the convention has a lot of costs to cover; even the convention committee running it pay full price.

With the convention two months away, it’s not too late for suggestions. If there are discussion concepts that people would like to attend, or even talk on, we are welcoming suggestions for new panels that can be run at the convention.

We are looking for more GMs willing to run a game, so if there is a game you have sitting around that you want to bounce off a group of people that might not normally show up to a KapCon, then we’d love to see it. We intend on having games for people new to RPGs, and games for more experienced players. While somebody who’s just there to run a game will not need to join the convention (and hence, not pay any money) if they don't want to, joining would allow you to attend the numerous other events happening over the course of the con.

If you have any enquiries, comment on this post, or fire them to me at tamahori@gmail.com. Also contact me if you’d like to run a game.
Tamahori

Re: Au Contraire 2013 - New Zealand SF National Convention

Postby morgue » Wed May 08, 2013 8:55 pm

Worth mentioning: Fan Guest of Honour at this con is none other than Auckland larp mastermind Anna Klein :-)

Who else is on the Committee, Brett?
morgue

Postby Steve Hickey » Wed May 08, 2013 11:08 pm

This sounds great!

Can you describe what the gaming spaces are going to be like? How will games be advertised (a schedule? announcements during the convention?)
Steve Hickey

Postby Tamahori » Sat May 11, 2013 12:22 am

morgue wrote:Worth mentioning: Fan Guest of Honour at this con is none other than Auckland larp mastermind Anna Klein :-)

Who else is on the Committee, Brett?

The entire committee is made up of ...
  • Kelly Buchanan
  • Daphne Lawless
  • Gary aka Gaza El-Diablo
  • Brett Tamahori
  • Matt Morris
  • Alastair Gibson
  • Melanie Duncan
  • Lynelle Howell
  • Norman Cates
Who are a generally awesome bunch of people ... quite how I ended up on that list, I'm not quite sure. :)
Tamahori

Postby Tamahori » Sat May 11, 2013 12:23 am

Steve Hickey wrote:This sounds great!

Can you describe what the gaming spaces are going to be like? How will games be advertised (a schedule? announcements during the convention?)

RPGs will mostly be run in the board room, with advance signups for scheduled times. There will also be advance signups for LARPS (space will vary depending on the game). Board/card gaming will mostly be casual in the big bar space on the ground floor, but we're happy to schedule specific games if anyone wants to run them. We're keen to schedule "learn to play" sessions for board games.
Tamahori

Postby Steve Hickey » Sat May 11, 2013 5:20 am

Thanks, Brett. I'm not sure how big the board room is but is it accurate to imagine there could probably be two or three games in there at any one time (depending on demand)?
Steve Hickey

Postby Anarchangel » Sat May 11, 2013 7:36 pm

I would guess you could fit two games in there, and it would be quite loud: http://www.hotelwellington.co.nz/cqfunc ... ncing.html (plan near the top, picture of the room down the page)
Ardens Ludere
My games: The Sprawl; Conquering Corsairs.
Con Rotation: The Sprawl; Dungeon World.
Anarchangel

Postby Anarchangel » Sat May 11, 2013 7:38 pm

A well lit, nice room with a good view of the chippie though! http://beek.co/g27/s163
Ardens Ludere
My games: The Sprawl; Conquering Corsairs.
Con Rotation: The Sprawl; Dungeon World.
Anarchangel

Postby Artemis » Wed May 15, 2013 1:15 am

It sounds awesome anyway and not just because Anna will be there. :)
Artemis

Postby Mike Sands » Wed May 15, 2013 1:23 am

Can you tell me how the market works?

I have a self-published game, and am considering bringing some copies along to sell. I wouldn't want to spend the whole con there, however (if nothing else, I'd like to run a couple of games as a demo).

Is taking a table for a short period allowed? I assume I'd need to book a table in advance, too, is that correct?
Mike Sands

Next

Return to Upcoming Cons