Flagship 2016 - call for ideas

Wellington RPG Con - Wellington Anniversary Weekend - www.kapcon.org.nz

Moderators: Paul, tog42, IdiotSavant, Scott

Re: Flagship 2016 - call for ideas

Postby wisefool » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:24 am

Looking at today's DomPost:

The Kapcon Cup (a.k.a. A Day at the Races)

A major day in the horse racing calendar with:
Legal betting (and illegal bookies)
Horse Breeders looking for sales and blood line purchases
Horse trainers looking for promising young blood
Punters out for a good time
Race day dresses (including a smattering of mad hatters)
Horse tempering or doping

And of course The Race!

The stands and track require a single space, TAB a room, Bar a room, stables and such areas perhaps on a different level.

The Race (or races) might be doable with linked video screens and pre recorded early races and a big event run at the time. After all the big race is the one most likely to be tampered with/interacted with by players.

The horses offer options:
Pantomime (2 person) horses with dummies for riders (Very bulky and person demanding)
Pantomime (one person) horse/rider suits (still bulky)
Hobby horses (easiest)
CGI (who to organise and manage?)

While a simple semi-mimed round the track would be easiest, a steeple chase offers the possibility of comedic effect.
wisefool

Postby Dale » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:17 am

I suggest that Kapcon is now sufficiently mature to try one of the winners of the Golden Cobra competition, Still Life a LARP where you take the role of rocks contemplating their existence at the whim of elemental forces.

This iteration of the game would be 'the Grand Kapcon Rockgarden' where clusters of rocks are arrayed in different parts of the venue, seemingly at random... Characters will be sent out by October, possibly supplemented with a handout on the night to aid contemplation. Costumes are not required, but those seeking a more thorough immersive experience should consider a monotone leotard and perhaps prepare with some light yoga. I will supply pan pipes.
EPOCH a game of character-driven survival horror
Dale

Postby Dale » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:21 am

Jes sayin':

EPOCH a game of character-driven survival horror
Dale

Postby surrealfish » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:11 am

Without being too macabre, Apr 2015-2016 is the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli campaign, and overall, this is the four year period of the 100 years since WW1. In terms of a game, you have more light hearted options of a rest and hospitality station back in bonny old England, or potentially even an international political symposium on the war in 1918 who meet as the declaration of peace is announced.
At any rate, I commit myself to run a WW1 based tabletop or mini-larp game at a session of KapCon 2016 (Id - hold me to this!).

Nick
surrealfish

Postby IdiotSavant » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:18 am

surrealfish wrote:Without being too macabre, Apr 2015-2016 is the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli campaign, and overall, this is the four year period of the 100 years since WW1. In terms of a game, you have more light hearted options of a rest and hospitality station back in bonny old England, or potentially even an international political symposium on the war in 1918 who meet as the declaration of peace is announced.

Its also the 100th anniversary of the anticonscription movement, the sedition prosecutions of 1916 and the birth of the New Zealand Labour Party. There's a great game in "the war at home" and its effects on NZ society if anyone wants to write it (and someone should).

At any rate, I commit myself to run a WW1 based tabletop or mini-larp game at a session of KapCon 2016 (Id - hold me to this!).

Verily, I bind you to your oath.
Playing: D&D5
Running: Laundry Files; Uncharted Worlds
Planning: KapCon XXV; The Gehenna Memo (Hydra 2016), Boffo's Birthday Bash (Phoenix 2016)
IdiotSavant

Postby grrrlshapedthing » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:11 am

surrealfish wrote:Without being too macabre, Apr 2015-2016 is the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli campaign, and overall, this is the four year period of the 100 years since WW1. In terms of a game, you have more light hearted options of a rest and hospitality station back in bonny old England, or potentially even an international political symposium on the war in 1918 who meet as the declaration of peace is announced.

Nick

This actually sounds like something I would write
grrrlshapedthing

Postby grrrlshapedthing » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:59 am

I'm all full of ideas now after having spent the weekend LARPing at 33AR

Few more ideas:
Discworld style LARP
Edgar Rice Burroughs style Sci Fi
Good Omens the LARP
Minority Report/ Phillip K. Dick bonanaza

When do we find out what team is chosen?
grrrlshapedthing

Postby IdiotSavant » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:08 am

grrrlshapedthing wrote:I'm all full of ideas now after having spent the weekend LARPing at 33AR

Few more ideas:
Discworld style LARP
Edgar Rice Burroughs style Sci Fi
Good Omens the LARP
Minority Report/ Phillip K. Dick bonanaza

Great! Get a team together and write a formal pitch! The general expectations and design parameters are here.

If your game concept doesn't meet those expectations (and some games you think about and realise that they're 40 rather than 70 players) remember that there's lots of venues now in Wellington for large larps. Hydra, for one, and NZLARPS' post-armageddon game for another. You could try pitching it at them, or simply running it independently.

When do we find out what team is chosen?

The KapCon Cabal should be meeting this month to select a game and start the planning process for next year.
Playing: D&D5
Running: Laundry Files; Uncharted Worlds
Planning: KapCon XXV; The Gehenna Memo (Hydra 2016), Boffo's Birthday Bash (Phoenix 2016)
IdiotSavant

Postby Anarchangel » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:15 am

IdiotSavant wrote:
Ice hawk wrote:As I say every now and then...

I think a sci-fi or bunker Larp run in the stairwell (and possibly also one of the corridors that run towards the toilets) would be interesting. It's a brutalist concrete setting, which would suit some things well (and other things badly).

It would certainly be a different use of the space, and we have plenty of gazebos if we want to break it up (e.g. to turn it into a narrow street for Hamish's promised 2020 Cyberpunk game).

I will try to remember this specific spatial suggestion.
Ardens Ludere
My games: The Sprawl; Conquering Corsairs.
Con Rotation: The Sprawl; Dungeon World.
Anarchangel

Previous

Return to Kapcon