Flagship 2016 - call for ideas

Wellington RPG Con - Wellington Anniversary Weekend - www.kapcon.org.nz

Moderators: Paul, tog42, IdiotSavant, Scott

Flagship 2016 - call for ideas

Postby IdiotSavant » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:41 am

The traditional post-KapCon thread: what would you like to see as the LARP for Kapcon 25?

We're looking for ideas, but we're also looking for volunteers to write it. So if you have an idea for a mass-market flagship-style game you desperately want to write, pitch it here and see if there's an audiance. Alternatively, if you have an idea for a mass-market flagship-style game you desperately want to play, pitch it here and see if you can inspire a writer.

Note that phrase: "mass-market flagship-style". The parameters are (broadly) 60 - 70 players (can go to 80, but can't go less); supports a roughly equal gender ratio (give or take Wellington skew) with good plots for players of either gender (NOTE: this rules out games which require half of our participants to crossplay, so no nun-larp, sorry); fits in the game spaces we have at WHS (you can use 2 floors and the associated corridors, max; games which fit on a single floor are preferred); and appeals to a broad audiance, including some 13-16 year olds (so the themes must be chosen appropriately).

So, what do you want?
Playing: D&D5
Running: Laundry Files; Uncharted Worlds
Planning: KapCon XXV; The Gehenna Memo (Hydra 2016), Boffo's Birthday Bash (Phoenix 2016)
IdiotSavant

Re: Flagship 2016 - call for ideas

Postby IdiotSavant » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:48 am

Traditional note on what everyone else is doing:

Hydra 2015: None (Insted they have the first episode of a Dresden Files campaign)
BoD 2015: Cape-Proof Bunker. Superhero lock-in.
Chimera 2015: No idea, but there'll be 2 or 3 of them.
Phoenix 2015: I'm not sure they do flagships
Medusa 2015: Ditto.

Done recently: Atlantis (Chimera 2014), Dresden Files (Chimera 2014, Hydra 2013), Supervillains? (Chimera 2014), High Fantasy (Hydra 2014), Fantasy Comedy (BoD 2014), 30's pulp (Flight of the Hindenburg), Small Town Disaster (KapCon 2014), Medieval Historical (Chimera 2013), Chinese historical / fantasy (Fragrant Harbour kapCon 2013), fairytale mashup (Chimera 2012), Trojan War (Achaean - KapCon 2012), SF (Chimera 2011)
Planning: KapCon XXV; The Gehenna Memo (Hydra 2016), Boffo's Birthday Bash (Phoenix 2016)
IdiotSavant

Postby IdiotSavant » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:59 am

Traditional suggestions imported from FaceSuck:
  • A Larp playing roleplayers at an annual convention
  • Zombie apocalypse
  • Pirates!

People might also want to consult the fine threads from the past which contain many great larp ideas, and re-pitch them:
IdiotSavant

Postby morgue » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:32 am

But the point of the nunlarp is that half the nuns are men disguised as nuns

(I just made that up now)
morgue

Postby IdiotSavant » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:49 am

Clearly, the concept of Nunlarp will never die.
IdiotSavant

Postby Mike Sands » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:34 am

morgue wrote:But the point of the nunlarp is that half the nuns are men disguised as nuns

(I just made that up now)

I am in favour of the nunlarp!

(I won't take part or help organise it, though. It would just be hilarious if it happened).
Mike Sands

Postby Freya » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:39 am

How about if in nunlarp, some of the nuns are priests?

...that are conveniently played by women.
Always train your dice.
Freya

Postby svendelmaus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:13 pm

As often happens, I've been thinking about the problem of death.

Specifically, I've been wondering whether it might be useful to focus on the problem of death[1] in a big, one-off LARP, and see whether a solution suggests any interesting scenarios. Fragrant Harbour's afterlife seemed to work well; but what about non-fantasy settings?

One approach that springs to mind is having character death result in the player being exiled to the "reconstitution tubes" for a period of time -- perhaps they can talk to each other (and anyone in the room) while being rebuilt, but otherwise cannot interact?

I can think of several settings that could use this conceit. For example, a game where the players are (copies of?) soldiers captured from across time and space and thrown into a meat-grinder future war, with groups regularly being sent out, killed, and reconstituted. Perhaps the tempo of missions has slowed down, and some people are hopeful/worried that this means the war is ending (and wondering what this means for them)? The downside of this setting is that the central conceit may not be sufficiently attractive to enough players, and there may not be a sufficient variety of roles/goals.

Another obvious setting is an abandoned futuristic theme park -- the characters are the androids who portrayed the characters used in the rides etc, who have formed their own society since the visitors stopped. But now the portal that the visitors come through is showing signs of powering up -- how do people feel about that? Shenanigans that I can think of off the top of my head include a feud between a couple of, say, Batmans about which one of them is the real Batman; characters who miss their old role, vs. those who hate the idea of having to go back (vs. the ones who think they can escape?); perhaps a character who has stolen another character's body template in order to get to live their life (e.g. the Wicked Queen in Snow White's body, or perhaps vice versa?); etc. This has the potential for both lighter and darker stories, and plenty of obvious costuming opportunities, so it might be more suitable for the flagship.

Other options: cosmic zoo (like Meatgrinder, but without the military theme)? Or game characters hanging out in null memory, worrying about (or looking forward to) The Great Defrag?

Anyway, just some thoughts that seemed worth sharing.

[1] I guess that among the other problems that the flagship LARP needs to address are that people want to dress up (but some people want easy costumes); you need a variety of stories ('cos there's a variety of reasons people are playing); and while you want a big finish, you don't want that finish to negate any of the player's stories that have emerged in the game, if you can help it. But since (a) we've got tonnes of people with heaps of LARP-running experience, and (b) this is not me volunteering, these points may be academic.
svendelmaus

Postby grrrlshapedthing » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:05 pm

I want to raise my hand to be on the LARP writing team
grrrlshapedthing

Postby IdiotSavant » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:11 pm

grrrlshapedthing wrote:I want to raise my hand to be on the LARP writing team

Great! A volunteer! Any ideas on what you want to write?

(Seriously, throw it out there and see what sticks)
IdiotSavant

Next

Return to Kapcon