Games on Demand 2016

Wellington RPG Con - Wellington Anniversary Weekend - www.kapcon.org.nz

Moderators: Paul, tog42, IdiotSavant, Scott

Games on Demand 2016

Postby Mike Sands » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:22 am

So yeah, we'll need people in games on demand next year, too.

I see that Steve is in, from the oaths thread, and I will be there. But we can't do it all!

On the plus side, it's a low-effort way to run a game: you can run something low- or no- prep, and you might not even have to run it at all (in which case you'll likely end up in some other cool game).

Of course, you need to bring along at least a couple of options to offer, but don't worry... look, can you keep a secret? We'll have some games like Fiasco, The Quiet Year, and Life on Mars there and to run those you don't even need to do any extra work! Just the same as what everyone else contributes!

Who is interested?
Mike Sands

Re: Games on Demand 2016

Postby Steve Hickey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:55 pm

I think we can draw together an extensive-ish list of games like Mike has suggested, that can be run out of the box. We could probably even have playtests of those games (either online or at cons throughout the year) to help people figure out how they work and how to facilitate them.
Steve Hickey

Postby Freya » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:56 am

Put me down for running Monsterhearts.
Always train your dice.
Freya

Postby Mike Sands » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:06 am

Freya wrote:Put me down for running Monsterhearts.

I will. Thanks!
Mike Sands

Postby itowlson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:36 am

In previous years I've always said no until December and then caved in at the last minute. This year I guess we could just cut to the chase. *grin*

Steve's suggestion of a list of games that can be run out of the box is a good one. However I think that even for a lot of 'self-running' games most people would need to play or at least read ahead of time to (a) get a sense of the basic rules and (b) get a sense of how the game flows. I hit this this a few years back when I borrowed an Inuit fable game from Mike on the day -- it was okay but it certainly wasn't smooth. So "help me learn/evaluate" playtests/practice sessions during the year (or more realistically at the last minute) could well be useful. (Post Box Con was good for this!)
itowlson

Postby Daena » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:37 am

I will proberbly be there and avalible to run Quiet year again
Daena

Postby Mike Sands » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:51 am

itowlson wrote:In previous years I've always said no until December and then caved in at the last minute. This year I guess we could just cut to the chase. *grin*

Excellent.

Steve's suggestion of a list of games that can be run out of the box is a good one. However I think that even for a lot of 'self-running' games most people would need to play or at least read ahead of time to (a) get a sense of the basic rules and (b) get a sense of how the game flows. I hit this this a few years back when I borrowed an Inuit fable game from Mike on the day -- it was okay but it certainly wasn't smooth. So "help me learn/evaluate" playtests/practice sessions during the year (or more realistically at the last minute) could well be useful. (Post Box Con was good for this!)

Definitely agree, although I think The Quiet Year and Life on Mars should be doable even if you never played before. Fiasco would be fine as long as you've played a couple of times.

I seem to remember that when you borrowed Ganakagok I was skeptical about it - I certainly would not describe it as "ready to run with no prep"!

Daena wrote:I will proberbly be there and avalible to run Quiet year again

Cool, thanks!
Mike Sands

Postby Paul » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:06 am

I can only tentativly offer like this year. It depends on what interests me over the coming year.
Paul
Board Admin

Postby Mike Sands » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:05 am

Paul wrote:I can only tentativly offer like this year. It depends on what interests me over the coming year.

I'll take it!
Mike Sands

Postby Mike Sands » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:29 am

I just sent out a call for facilitators, repeated here in case you aren't on my email list:

Would you like to help facilitate Games on Demand for Kapcon 2016?

My plan this year is to have each person offer either TWO or FOUR games, which we’ll set up as a menu for you, with a picture and game info. I’ll be aiming to do something like this: http://www.bigbadcon.com/wp-content/upl ... age_06.jpg

It’s fine if you want to commit sessions and games now, but at the moment the main thing is just whether you would like to take part or not. We’ll nail down the schedule in detail later.

Have a think about if you’d like to take part, and let me know.
Mike Sands

Next

Return to Kapcon