Flagship 2017: Call for ideas

Wellington RPG Con - Wellington Anniversary Weekend - www.kapcon.org.nz

Moderators: Paul, tog42, IdiotSavant, Scott

Flagship 2017: Call for ideas

Postby IdiotSavant » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:36 am

The traditional post-KapCon thread: what would you like to see as the LARP for Kapcon 2017?

We're looking for ideas, but we're also looking for volunteers to write it. So if you have an idea for a mass-market flagship-style game you desperately want to write, pitch it here and see if there's an audiance. Alternatively, if you have an idea for a mass-market flagship-style game you desperately want to play, pitch it here and see if you can inspire a writer.

The parameters for the flagship are here. TL;DR: 3 hours long, 60-70 players, equal gender ratio, fits in the spaces available, appeals to a broad audience, including some 13-16 year olds.
Playing: D&D5
Running: Laundry Files; Uncharted Worlds
Planning: KapCon XXV; The Gehenna Memo (Hydra 2016), Boffo's Birthday Bash (Phoenix 2016)
IdiotSavant

Re: Flagship 2017: Call for ideas

Postby IdiotSavant » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:53 am

One response from Facebook so far: "Classic fantasy Pathfinder/D&D".
Planning: KapCon XXV; The Gehenna Memo (Hydra 2016), Boffo's Birthday Bash (Phoenix 2016)
IdiotSavant

Postby IdiotSavant » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:18 am

Second suggestion from Facebook: "What about a black FLAGship Pirates! Freakin pirates. Everyone loves pirates and theres a world of stereotypes to choose from."

(This is a perennial suggestion, and its a good one. Pirate games are easy to write, there's both a rich history and a huge amount of literature and media to pillage for ideas, and you can twist it in interesting ways. Space pirates! Sky pirates! Actually, steampunk sky pirates striking from their hidden mountaintop republic would be kindof cool...)
IdiotSavant

Postby Steve Hickey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:17 am

Just wondering: has this been posted on Diatribe as well? Seems like there would be a good audience for thinking about it, there.
Steve Hickey

Postby IdiotSavant » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:19 am

More ideas from Facebook:
  • "I want pirates or cyberpunk but only because I love the costuming."
  • "Cyberpirates! Plunder the Matrix with yer hookjack!"
  • American Civil War (which is pretty far removed from NZ, but it might be interesting)
  • Modern day red carpet for the Oscars or similar awards
  • On the set of a movie in the Golden Age of Hollywood (they say the production is cursed, perhaps!) (this idea has a lot of detailed suggestions - I/S)
  • Old timey carnival
  • "a larp vaguely inspired by American Gods" (there's a team working on one for Hydra)
  • The Titanic (or other ship) LARP. Each floor is a different level of the ship. Basically based on Titanic (the movie).
  • Flatland

Anybody want to write one of these yet?
IdiotSavant

Postby Stephanie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:47 am

I've been thinking about a Golden Age of Hollywood game loosely inspired by Singin' in the Rain, but there's no way I'd be up to writing it this year (and maybe not next). So I'm intrigued by this "they say the production is cursed" game Idiot mentioned - lots of room for swanky dresses. :-)
Stephanie

Postby wisefool » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:09 am

The Golden Age of Hollywood? "Why, that's the most ridicules thing I ever hoid!" - Groucho Marx ;)
wisefool

Return to Kapcon