No Fright Night This Year

Wellington Horror RPG Convention - Halloween - www.frightnightcon.org

Moderators: Paul, AJKM, Highwayman

No Fright Night This Year

Postby Dale » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:19 am

Hi

This is just a note to say there won't be a Fright Night this year, unless somebody else wants to organize something at relatively short notice. The reasons are much the same as those that have seen the end of other local tabletop RPG 'cons in Wellington (fragmentation of online community combined with an increased interest and demand for other non-tabletop activities). Not sure what this means for 2016, I guess we'll see how things go with Kapcon.

Cheers
Dale
EPOCH a game of character-driven survival horror
Dale

Re: No Fright Night This Year

Postby IdiotSavant » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:59 am

I thought it was because no-one was able to organise it this year?

(If anyone wants to organise something for e.g. the weekend of 24th October, I'm sure I could GM something. I'd offer to organise a "Night of Confused games" in tribute to all the cons which haven't happened this year, but I am herding enough cats ATM. Venuewise, Petone is super-cheap compared to other locations, but does have the downside that many Wellington gamers don't have cars and would rather fly to Auckland than brave the horrors of the Hutt...)

As for kapCon, the games are trickling in, but we could do with a lot more in round 2 (and some horror would be great). The form is here:

http://kapcon.org.nz/?q=gamereg
Playing: D&D5
Running: Laundry Files; Uncharted Worlds
Planning: KapCon XXV; The Gehenna Memo (Hydra 2016), Boffo's Birthday Bash (Phoenix 2016)
IdiotSavant

Postby Dale » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:27 pm

People could organize it, and discussions were held, but without clear demand or interest it didn't seem a worthwhile investment of time and energy. We've always wanted games which are original labours of love, in preference to a re-run or published scenario, so even just booking a venue and calling for games, it's unclear how many horror themed offerings that fit this criteria are actually in the works in Wellington. For 2016 we'll be using Kapcon to gauge the attendance and enthusiasm for tabletop, rather than how many folks are willing to pitch games in the months preceding.

That said, if there is any interest in organizing something more ad-hoc before Kapcon, I'd also come along and be happy to offer my new game.
EPOCH a game of character-driven survival horror
Dale

Postby AJKM » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:50 am

We had some discussions about running it this year, but the combination of people having other priorities and a dimishing effort:reward ratio meant we came to the conclusion it wouldn't go ahead this year.

That being said, 2016 is a new year and, as Dale notes, Kapcon will be a good test for the local market for another con. I think making it a biennel event or changing up the format a little could also inject some (un)life into it. I still think there is a lot of potential there, but like any product it is about giving the market what it wants.
AJKM

Return to Fright Night