Who is still lurking

Shoot the breeze...

Moderator: Paul

Re: Who is still lurking

Postby Jan-Yves » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:56 am

Oooh oooh I can contribute.

At least for SAGA/Christchurch (representation on NZRaG: 2 threads), the majority of our active members are University students, and are often casual or relatively new members. Joining a group/liking a page on Facebook is really easy given that they already have accounts, whereas on a forum the barrier to entry is (relatively) high. Because people are on Facebook anyway, posts to Facebook get a higher visibility than posts to a forum (and there's a positive feedback loop where people will visit places with active content, and people will post content to places that get visited). Facebook also offers additional tools (group chat is a big one) that help when organising club events (such as conventions or the ongoing Living World campaigns).

The Christchurch/SAGA roleplaying scene is generally pretty inward-focussed: it's mainly the more enthusiastic and involved folks who end up headed to outside conventions. Most people aren't incredibly interested in what's happening in other centres. In addition, the SAGA committee tends not to promote this as a venue for discussion.

What would we have to do to encourage the use of NZRaG? First, it would need to be promoted as a forum for discussion. Second, I think the committee (or Promotions Officer) would have to actively encourage discussion on here, either by using it as the official outlet for SAGA notices, by posting regular content here, or by encouraging others to do so (or all three). Finally, we'd have to hope that our members actually signed up. We get a decent number of people who're very casual members only - I don't have numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if 30-40% of SAGA members only came to 0-2 sessions per year. Even people who attend regularly may not feel the need to sign up to the forums, and this means if we want to get messages to them we need to post to Facebook as well, and we're back to the original problem. Overall I don't think our members would see a benefit to posting on NZRaG over Facebook - in fact, they'd probably see it as a downgrade since it requires their checking another site/maintaining another account when they could get away with just the one.

(Caveat: most of this is speculation, and is obviously focussed around SAGA as a central organised body for roleplaying in Christchurch.)
Jan-Yves

Postby housemonkey » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:23 am

I haven't found it much use for recruiting new players (whether that's because there aren't that many people looking or I'm just running the wrong games I leave as an exercise for the reader) so only check in occasionally now.
All the energy of a rat, trapped in a can
housemonkey

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:18 pm

still lurking, admittedly from overseas.
Dan

Postby Jan-Yves » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:01 pm

(FWIW, just subbed to this thread. I think PHPBB really needs to make that "subscribe" button more readily available, since in forums like this one it's invaluable to be messaged in some way when there's activity. But if people end up discussing ways to get the place more active in this thread, or mention starting a new thread, at least I'm kept up to date?)
Jan-Yves

Postby Stephanie » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:17 am

I check in occasionally. (Nice to see it back!)
Stephanie

Postby catty_big » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:56 am

I'm here! <waves>
Currently promoting Sci-Fi Beta Kappa (published November 2013) and working on several other games: visit the indyhippo design lab for details.
catty_big

Postby Anarchangel » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:21 pm

Jan-Yves wrote:(FWIW, just subbed to this thread. I think PHPBB really needs to make that "subscribe" button more readily available, since in forums like this one it's invaluable to be messaged in some way when there's activity. But if people end up discussing ways to get the place more active in this thread, or mention starting a new thread, at least I'm kept up to date?)

Yikes! Yeah, no wonder I hadn't been getting notifications about activity here.
Ardens Ludere
My games: The Sprawl; Conquering Corsairs.
Con Rotation: The Sprawl; Dungeon World.
Anarchangel

Postby Kratos » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:29 am

Always lurking these days...

not much gaming being done...

back in the Tauranga area...
Kratos

Previous

Return to Chat